Advertisement

A few questions :)

Started by February 13, 2011 01:36 PM
0 comments, last by cloudarchitect 13 years, 6 months ago
Hello there!

I am new to these forums and to Game Development itself. I am avid to compose, and possibly design for Game Projects, but I have a few questions.

First of all you should know I do music at a GCSE level and soon to take Music along with Music Tech at A level. I own an array of programs and hardware including Sonar Power Studio 6, Mics, Amps, Synthesizers and other equipment and would really like to use these to the best of my ability to build a repertoire. In fact at the moment I am composing for my last unit of Music and am hoping that any advice can help me in that area too. I can read music and can play Saxophone classically at a grade 5 standard.

Now for questions;

When composing for games I have found that playing one I own with the sound off helps me to start the creative process. But I never know where to start once I am in my studio. So my first question would be, where & how do you start composing your piece.

Secondly, what programs and plug-ins do you use? Where do you get your sound libraries from etc.

Thirdly, would you use a live orchestra/band or is your music mostly electronic.

And lastly, what do you do with your composition once finalized? What final touches do you add and where do you host it?

I am sorry if these seem like silly or over asked questions. If so feel free to delete my thread.

Anit :)

Hello there!

I am new to these forums and to Game Development itself. I am avid to compose, and possibly design for Game Projects, but I have a few questions.

First of all you should know I do music at a GCSE level and soon to take Music along with Music Tech at A level. I own an array of programs and hardware including Sonar Power Studio 6, Mics, Amps, Synthesizers and other equipment and would really like to use these to the best of my ability to build a repertoire. In fact at the moment I am composing for my last unit of Music and am hoping that any advice can help me in that area too. I can read music and can play Saxophone classically at a grade 5 standard.

Now for questions;

When composing for games I have found that playing one I own with the sound off helps me to start the creative process. But I never know where to start once I am in my studio. So my first question would be, where & how do you start composing your piece.

Secondly, what programs and plug-ins do you use? Where do you get your sound libraries from etc.

Thirdly, would you use a live orchestra/band or is your music mostly electronic.

And lastly, what do you do with your composition once finalized? What final touches do you add and where do you host it?

I am sorry if these seem like silly or over asked questions. If so feel free to delete my thread.

Anit :)

You should probably stop playing games when you're writing your music ;). It's a bit distracting. You should also only start writing something when you come up with something VERY nice from practically nowhere. You'll be in the right mindset then, and an abundance of ideas will come.

I download a bunch of random stuff from KVR... It has every plugin ever pretty much - Link is here

Third, use whatever you want. Unless you have been told you must use an orchestra or electronics or acoustic etc. Use whatever is necessary for what you are trying to express.

When it's finalised, if you want to put it in a game you should find some way of looping it seamlessly so it never ends. Otherwise I guess it would be finalised? I'd host it on my hard-drive. Or if you want to show people, use soundcloud. It's a really class website... Link to soundcloud is here

Also enjoy A level music tech. You probably won't learn much of anything. So here's a stupidly massive, humorous and informative guide on music tech to fill the void - Tweakheadz

Safe x
Some sounds in a cloud... www.soundcloud.com/cloudarchitect

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement