🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Books

Started by
7 comments, last by Micha 24 years, 5 months ago
Hi all, there are two recommend books on learning win32 programming with c++: 1. Programming with the Windows95 API from Charles Petzold 2. Windows98 Programming from the Ground Up Which of the two books is the better to learn programming win32 with c++? Thanks
Advertisement
I only have #1, but it is truly brilliant :)

You could always get both? I have a few books on Win32 programming and they all complement each other really...
Well, I have "From the ground up" and it helped me a bit, but since I am now doing DirectX i don''t look at it anymore.
I would recommend #1..........

Dance with me......

http://members.xoom.com/CJdeVos/index.htm

My vote is #2.

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
I read both books and I thinks #1 is the best choice.
---------------------------Unfortunately, no one can be told what a bug is.You have to see it for yourself...
I've read both also, and I agree that #1 is the better of the two. Also, if your bying one, look take a look at ebay. I got the first one (Programming Windows 5th Edition hard cover) for only $15 plus shipping and handling (brand new).

Edited by - Mike on 1/8/00 11:38:55 PM
I did not read the 1st one, but many people have told me, that Petzold is a very good author.
Well, the Petzold book is my choise. It worked great for me, and Petzold is a great author. Since you mentioned C++, you may also want to look into Programming Windows with MFC by Jeff Prosise.

Since MFC is just a class wrapper, I recommend reading the Petzold book first. Then you''ll understand MFC that much better.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement