Advertisement

Demo CD/reel guidelines?

Started by February 28, 2011 11:06 PM
2 comments, last by nsmadsen 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi everyone, just doing a bit of research. I guess I'll just throw my questions out there?

-Should the music being sent out be copyrighted?

-If so what is the best what to go about doing this?

-Should it aim to encompass a range of mood and styles, or can it stick to something more specific?

-Visual elements: Would it be a good thing to have a demo of your music set to a video/animation? How about still frames or concept art?

-What would a rough target length be? Rather, what is "too long"?

-Does it need to be a medley, or can it be a collection of separate tracks?

I think that covers what I was wondering. Thanks!

Hi everyone, just doing a bit of research. I guess I'll just throw my questions out there?

-Should the music being sent out be copyrighted?

-If so what is the best what to go about doing this?

-Should it aim to encompass a range of mood and styles, or can it stick to something more specific?

-Visual elements: Would it be a good thing to have a demo of your music set to a video/animation? How about still frames or concept art?

-What would a rough target length be? Rather, what is "too long"?

-Does it need to be a medley, or can it be a collection of separate tracks?

I think that covers what I was wondering. Thanks!

Putting myself in the shoes of the dude whos gonna see your work

-Yes

-If you're in the UK use this http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/

-YES

-Yep

-As long as there is a list of specific tracks to listen to when it's sent it wouldn't really matter too much. It'd show you have a lot of dedication to music more than anything with a lot of tracks (and also are prolific)

-If you're trying to convey specific moods a medley is kind of a weird way of doing it.
Some sounds in a cloud... www.soundcloud.com/cloudarchitect
Advertisement
As an addendum to that I would say don't focus on getting hundreds of tracks in there if it means they are all going to be mediocre - it's better to make sure every single minute is the best you can do. To me that shows devotion to the music rather than the more "fly by night" attitude of putting out loads of half-baked tracks.
Jonny Martyr
Composer & Sound Designer for Games & Film
www.jonnymartyr.com
Know who you're demoing to and fill that niche. For example if developer X makes horror survival games and only uses heavy metal, then send them your best heavy metal. If the developer is a bit more varied then supply a few tracks but make sure you're giving them more than just 15 seconds or so worth of each type of song. This way they can see how you'll develop an idea. You're only going to get about 10-30 seconds to hook someone before they switch to the next CD or demo. Hit them hard with your most impressive stuff right from the get-go and hook them. Then they'll want to listen to more.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement