🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

water drolets in space?

Started by
2 comments, last by asylum101 22 years, 9 months ago
hello all i was wondering if anyone knows an algorythm for simulating the rotation of a liquid in 0 gravity or a link to a tutorial that could help me out. and also was thinking of rotation around all three object space axis trying to spin a sphere of "water" till it flattens and breaks into several more "water" droplets of diferant sizes.
Advertisement
Sounds like a neat effect. I wonder though, how you''d go about getting a water droplet spinning in the first place...? (Not programmatically, but in real life.)

The whole thing would be very dependent on the radius of the droplet...

Also, as it spreads out (even w/out losing any mass), it''s rotational inertia increases so it''s angular speed would decrease (conservation of angular momentum).

Tricky. This definitely sounds like one of those cases where, if it''s for a game, to just fake it.
well the algorythm its self would be for a procedural universe builder. the way i figure it large bodies of spinning gas (when a solar system forms) would behave alot like a water droplet spinning in 0 g''s and seems to me as a good way to simulate the distribution of stellar mass
as for the spinning, all objects with large amounts of inherent gravity spin so i wasnt concerned with how/why the "water" was spinning just that it is or isnt
=D
Use metaballs.

Let each vertex then be controlled as a part of the mass.
This will make it easier to simulate rippling and crops.

If the rotation is uniform and the fluid ball is statinary,
there will be no changes to the surface except for some internal pressure expansion.

If the rotation accelerates, there will be inertial changes to the surface which would cause the droplet to throw chunks of its mass.

If the spin of the droplet is great enough, any changes whatsoever will make the droplet instable and make it ''explode''.

The Game Industry
OpenGL/OpenAL/OpenNL
"Self awareness is the interaction between 3 different parts of your brain. The Cog, the Left and the Right side of you brain..."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement