🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Artificial Inteligence system using variables and random numbers

Started by
4 comments, last by FirestormX 22 years, 9 months ago
I am new to this field and Please tell me if my idea is a piece of **** because it very well may be. This is a Variable Based Artificial Intelligence System for the generalized ai of Nations: (VBAISN) The idea behind VBAISN is the use of two lists of variables dealing with each specific nation. The first list is the “Mindset” of a given nation. This predesigned list is a constant set of variables which define each possible intelligent action the given nation is able to do, and more importantly how inclined are they to do so based on their nations mindset on different issues. The second list of variables represent the influences on the nations. This list contains the same variable names as the “Mindset” list however these variables are not constant and are based strictly on the many influences upon the nation. For example if the gremlins are attacked by a group of goblins then the value of the variable Attack_goblin in the “Influence” list for the gremlins is raised, and at the same time the Trade_goblin variable is lowered. Obviously this represents the raised inclination to fight with the goblins and the lowered inclination to trade with them after the occurance. A program called the variable analyzer then compares the two lists within each nation, and makes decisions of what to do based on them. The root of these decisions is use of random numbers generated which decide the nations actions. For example if the nation has a “Mindset” variable Attack_goblin = 0 and its corresponding “Influence” variable raises to 10(out of ten), based on the difference between 0 and 10 there will be a random number drawn with a 50% chance of war. Keep in mind that the variables are not integers and small occurrences create small impacts on the variables. A major factor which is constantly impacting the “Influence” lists of nations is time itself. Each nation has a different attention span. For example the goblin nation may be very easily influenced but have the attention span of a two year old. The “Influence” variables of different nations decrease(or increase in some variables)at their rate of “attention”. This means that if an entire nations attacks the goblins and their “Influence” variable for Attack_(nation) is at ten, by the time they are organized the variable mite be at 5, and by the time they arrive at the enemy camp they may loose interest entirely. Firestorm Gman2000@home.com Show your support to planeshift on their forums at www.planeshift.it
Firestorm Gman2000@home.comShow your support to planeshift on their forums atwww.planeshift.it
Advertisement
Well, there''s certainly nothing wrong with it, but I don''t think it''s complex enough to warrant its own acronym. Essentially you''re taking a common idea from table-top roleplaying games and wargames, which is: take a base statistic that determines behaviour for a given entity, and apply context-based modifiers that raise or lower that statistic, increasing or decreasing the chance of that behaviour.
That acronym was just a joke I know its basic, but what I
really was wondering is weather you AI ppl think it can work.
Basic is ok as this is the "Generalized" AI of nations. This does not need to be complex, but only needs to work
If this is not at all an orginal idea I apoligize

Firestorm Gman2000@home.com
Show your support to planeshift on their forums at
www.planeshift.it
Firestorm Gman2000@home.comShow your support to planeshift on their forums atwww.planeshift.it
That acronym was just a joke I know its basic, but what I
really was wondering was, do you AI ppl think it can work.
Basic is ok as this is the "Generalized" AI of nations. This does not need to be complex, but only needs to work
If this is not at all an orginal idea I apoligize

www.planeshift.it
sorry abt that, wanted to fix typo-didnt realize i posted 2

www.planeshift.it
As others have already pointed out, this (regretfully) isn''t a terribly new idea. I kinda like your acronym (for what it''s worth) but I''d hazard a guess that nearly all games with AI "personalities" of any kind do something similar...

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com

From the High Mountains of Colorado

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement