Advertisement

Editor for reactive/generative music

Started by March 22, 2011 08:24 AM
2 comments, last by pernyblom 13 years, 5 months ago
Hello,

I have created an application for composing generative/reactive music.

It is available here: Reactive Music Language Editor

The main idea is to build a state machine that executes actions (parallel/serial/repeat etc.) one measure at a time. The actions set properties in a music generator module that has a lot of functionality for melody, harmony and percussion. There is also support for scripting (JavaScript).

There are presets available but they are not very good. They demonstrate some of the features though.

If you can't/don't want to run the application, you can watch some lame videos instead:

Music module integrated into game prototype

Game Module WIP

RML Editor Video

small_screenshot_1.png
Just checked out the video so far, but I think I'll download it and have a play.
Seems like a pretty cool concept -- I assume you're aiming for something where a composer would set up pre-sets in the editor, and then different triggers in game would effect the inputs to produce music that fits with the current gameplay?

Do you intend this to be used by traditional composers, or is the idea to allow those who lack musical skill to be able to produce their own tracks?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement

Seems like a pretty cool concept -- I assume you're aiming for something where a composer would set up pre-sets in the editor, and then different triggers in game would effect the inputs to produce music that fits with the current gameplay?

Do you intend this to be used by traditional composers, or is the idea to allow those who lack musical skill to be able to produce their own tracks?

The editor consists of two layers: A generative music module and a state machine where actions execute before each measure.
The generative music module has a lot of support for generating a single measure and also keeping track of a harmonic rythm and scale. The state machine is used for generating structure (phrases, parts etc.) by executing actions that set properties in the music module. It is also used for handling parameter inputs with scripts.

I will add some "wizards" that can be used by those who lack musical skills. However, if you want to make your own modules or heavily modify generated/existing modules, you have to know a bit more about music.
My own musical skill level is unfortunately very low (but slowly increasing), so I could really use some help ;)
New video:
Music module integrated into game prototype

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement