🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

answer my questions please

Started by
10 comments, last by Ashleywlee 22 years, 9 months ago
Well first of all what is the best programming language to use for making games? Next is there anywhere where i can get a development kit for an older console (like Super Nintendo)? I will be on AoL instant messenger so please dont be afraid to stop and talk. My user name is ashleywlee. I will be waiting for a reply on either of these thanks.
Advertisement
C++ is the best programming language to use for making games. I would suggest you buy the book "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" if you want to learn. I don''t know much about console development so I can''t help you there, sorry.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Check out the "For Beginners" link under Resources at the top of the page. Everything you need to know has already been answered there.
I wouldn''t worry to much about console stuff for awile. It would
require you to realy now what you are doing in the broad since.
By that I mean not only do you need to understand how to program
you would need to understand how it works with the system your
developing for. Not only would finding a Dev kit be near imposible I would think(I could be wrong) but you would have
almost zero support. The last problem you might have is that
its much harder to program for an older system because it
needs you to be as effecent as possible to get anything of
value out of it. In the bottome line it you would realy need to
know what you were doing and be able to do it alone. However you
might be able to get a hold of that kit sony made for the playstation. The Yawa somtin'' or other. It was made for the average Joe and not pro game dev. Might have less trouble with
it. It would be cheaper most likely. Not trin to shoot you down
or anything. I would just recoment learning C++, then how to
use it to make a game. That will more than likely be more than
enough for awhile. Later you have a good idea about what you
capable of and will know what you want to do.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
The Yaroze was only produced in limited quantities and didn''t provide full access to programming the PSX, but you could get your hands on one. However, it requires you to know C, so you''re better off learning C on a PC first.

A SNES devkit is impossible to obtain. There was a movement to petition Nintendo to release one a while back, but it seems to have died down.
Thanks for the help. What compiler should I use for C++ and where could I get me some info on the best books?
Thanks for the help. What compiler should I use for C++ and where could I get me some info on the best books?
How''s ''bout tryin'' some Internet searches?
You can always try Dev C++. Since it''s free, it''s perfect for beginners who can later always use another compiler if they don''t like it.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

There are more than one free compilers. Borland C++ offers their compiler for free, Digital Mars also but it has some DX support issues which is a shame but hey, there are also a lot of others that I didn''t mention but if you search for them, you will find them...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement