🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

setting targets

Started by
2 comments, last by minority 22 years, 9 months ago
i''ve just started c++ programming for about a week now and naturally, everything is dos-based few question: -what do i need to do to write apps in windows??? -do i need directx(or opengl, for that matter) for that??? -what else do i need to write even the most simplest of apps in windows??? i would like to know so i can set realistic targets of what and when i should learn thoese concepts of c++ programming and how long it would take, be it 4, 5 or 6 yrs maybe i don''t like delving into things that are too advanced for a newbie like me thanx, and this site is great!!!
Error C0000: No dirty 4 letter words allowed
-=Idiot of the Net=-
Advertisement
First of all, welcome to the windows programming world. It''s fantastic, but you need to be patience.

In order to start programming for Windows, you need a compiler. The best of all is Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, but it''s very expensive. There are another ones that are free, for example BorlandC++ 5.5 (it''s not so good like VisualC++, but good enough for beginners).

When you got a compiler, I recommend you that buy book on general Windows programming (the cheapest you find). Don''t get one especific for VisualC++ neither BorlandC++. Just a book about Windows programming, if it''s not OO better : you want become a windows programmer, not a MFC user.

And after all of this shit, PROGRAM. Programming is the only way you''ll learn to program.

Either OpenGL and DirectX are for programming multimedia and graphics-intensive applications and you use them when you know programming in Windows. It''s your last step. For example, for DirectX, you have to know Windows programming, GDI and COM objects.

The most simpliest app in windows? Here it is:

<-------------------------------------------------------------->
#include

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, INT nCmdShow)
{

MessageBox(NULL, "Hello World!", "HELLO", MB_OK);
return 0;
}
<-------------------------------------------------------------->
It''s just a stupid message box, but it''s the simpliest windows app.

I can''t told you anything about targets. You are starting. Don''t think in targets. Just get programming (For DOS programmers it''s difficult to program in Windows at the begining, but with time you''ll see that it''s only the first weeks or months).

And when you''ll need help, here we are!!!

"If you''''re gonna die, die with your boots on"
"If you''re gonna die, die with your boots on"
yeah, i've done some dos programmes already using VC++ but the book i have does not have anything about windows programming.....

so, could anyone point me to a book or site that contains reference materials on windows programming??

thanx!!

Edited by - minority on September 15, 2001 1:44:04 AM
Error C0000: No dirty 4 letter words allowed
-=Idiot of the Net=-
Here is a pretty decent intro.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement