🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

One sheet hyperboloid equation

Started by
3 comments, last by DeltaVee 22 years, 9 months ago
Does any one have an equation in the form of: x = .... y = .... z = .... I have found the quadric ''x/a+y/b-z/c=1'' and boy am I regretting dropping out of school Thanx. D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
Advertisement
Could you be more specific on what you''re trying to do?

I don''t know if you can solve for each variable individually without having the the other two variables in there.

You could get the equation for a 2-d cross section by setting one of the variables to a constant. This will either be an ellipse or hyperbola.

I''m not sure what you''re asking.
Okay, I was going to link in a graphic but the site where it is, is wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to slow.

Basicaly what I''m trying to do construct a cylinder that is fluted at both ends (like a trumpet).

Apparently this is called a 1 sheet hyperboloid, sounds like something you cure with pile ointment.

D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
  x=sqrt(a^2*(s^2+c^2))/sqrt(c^2)*cos(t)y=sqrt(b^2*(s^2+c^2))/sqrt(c^2)*sin(t)z=s//Conversion back to implicit(c^2*x^2)/(a^2*(z^2+c^2))+(c^2*y^2)/(b^2*(z^2+c^2))=cos(t)^2+sin(t)^2(c^2*x^2)/(a^2*(z^2+c^2))+(c^2*y^2)/(b^2*(z^2+c^2))=1(c^2*x^2)/a^2+(c^2*y^2)/b^2=z^2+c^2x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2=z^2/c^2+1x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2-z^2/c^2=1  

Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Your a saint, thanks.

D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement