🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where do you think the next innovation in game AI will come from?

Started by
16 comments, last by Ferretman 22 years, 9 months ago
I think perhaps the next innovation may in fact come from Chess programs, in an effort to get away from brute force methods, and get a bit more of a human feel & unpredictability into the game.

The other genre I''d think may influence Game AI are the new RTS/RPG crossovers, since they''re moving more to 3D than the traditional 2D. This leaves more CPU time for things such as AI since the GPU takes over for the graphics. And such games have so much opportunity for tactical learning.

Just my 2¢

"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick

"It is far easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it first passes through a blender" -- Damocles
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
I also get pissed off the fact (hello CheeseGrater) that the science papers I read loosely
describe this great new way to optimize rigid-body dynamics or whatever, but DON''T GIVE
ANY GODDAMN ALGORITHM DESCRIPTION! Not even pseudoalgorithms.
But I suppose we all want to eat, even scientists...

If there''s no algorithm it is usually because scientists (as opposed to computer scientists) prefer to speak mathematically. So, a technique will be expressed mathematically because, quite frankly, mathematics doesn''t lie!

Cheers,

Timkin
I think the focus of AI will shift from trying to beat the human, to trying to *entertain* the human.
We make better and better AI that can beat the humans in more and more clever ways, but the reasoning behind it is more something like "if we optimize this, if we develop that, the player wont have a chance". We are simply making the stakes higher and higher... an arms race, if you will.
My opinion is that if we take another approach, we could end up with new ideas.
The other approach I am trying to explore is to give more meaning to things. More meaning to the polygons that compose a level, more meaning to the weapons a computer controlled opponent uses, more meaning to the agents and their function in the world, etc.
If we enhance the meanings, we enhance the ability to communicate, hence the variety of behaviour of goup of agents.

This evolution is probably going to come from RTS, but with less units, probably at the squad level.
It''s not just the AI that will evolve, but the context in which AI works. The data structures of levels, objects, agents, etc.

Anyway, at least that''s the areas I am exploring, so I better preach for my own church As long as I get this damn Masters...

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by Timkin
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I also get pissed off the fact (hello CheeseGrater) that the science papers I read loosely
describe this great new way to optimize rigid-body dynamics or whatever, but DON'T GIVE
ANY GODDAMN ALGORITHM DESCRIPTION! Not even pseudoalgorithms.
But I suppose we all want to eat, even scientists…

If there's no algorithm it is usually because scientists (as opposed to computer scientists) prefer to speak mathematically. So, a technique will be expressed mathematically because, quite frankly, mathematics doesn't lie!

I'm not going to speak for everyone, but in my experience that isn't really true. When I was working in academia, everyone had an implementation of their new pet techniques, but often published the algorithm without the implementation. Sometimes it was because the code was dirty. But most times it was because someone (either the researcher, the dept. head, or the uni's legal dept.) was trying to protect their ability to patent the technique and/or copyright of the implementation.

Ahw makes a really good point, though. I think the challenge of game AI in the future isn't going to be to win, but to lose believably.

Edited by - cheesegrater on September 21, 2001 9:37:44 AM
quote: Original post by ahw
I think the focus of AI will shift from trying to beat the human, to trying to *entertain* the human.
We make better and better AI that can beat the humans in more and more clever ways, but the reasoning behind it is more something like "if we optimize this, if we develop that, the player wont have a chance". We are simply making the stakes higher and higher... an arms race, if you will.

I think the jist of what you''re saying is right--that focus will shift more towards entertainment than that of beating the human. However, I''m not sure that there''s really an "arms race" here in terms of AI, at least not to any significant degree.

I base this on two reasons. First, developers don''t seem terribly motivated to "beat" each other''s AI, at least not yet. I''ve heard and read lots of articles in which so-and-so will offer "more scenarios", or "more realistic graphics", or whatnot--but I haven''t heard anybody (yet) say "we''re going to beat that game''s AI!".

Second, I''m still having a hard time believing that AI per se in a game like Go or C&C really can compare in terms of intricacy to any decent human player. It''s one thing to beat the human; it''s another to seem human yourself.

But hey...I could be wrong too. I''d rather be wrong in this than right, for what it''s worth.

quote:
This evolution is probably going to come from RTS, but with less units, probably at the squad level.
It''s not just the AI that will evolve, but the context in which AI works. The data structures of levels, objects, agents, etc.

Interesting.....I agree with the need to add more meaning and think it''s interesting you believe this will come from the RTS realm. I would have pegged multiplayer RPGs as a more suitable field for those seeds.

quote:
Anyway, at least that''s the areas I am exploring, so I better preach for my own church As long as I get this damn Masters...

It''s a lot of work getting a Master''s...hang in there!

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com

From the High Mountains of Colorado

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

quote: Original post by Ferretman
Interesting.....I agree with the need to add more meaning and think it''s interesting you believe this will come from the RTS realm. I would have pegged multiplayer RPGs as a more suitable field for those seeds.

I think the massive online games will certainly not produce the "next innovation in game AI". Simply because their CPU time is already almost saturated handling so many players, a massive world, and so on. I think it''s more likely that you''d see such an advance in an offline RPG, maybe with these principles propagating up to the massive games in a few years.

Seems like a lot of these posts are arguing about who was first to implement/think up something and less about WHAT the future
might be.... (sorry, dont have all day to read lengthy posts).

Anyways, I have 2 connected areas I would like to see the future of AI to go to.

1st) I would like to see a manufacture, similar to NVidia, build PCI or AIP (AI version of AGP) cards which contain processors for performing standard AI routines instead of on the mainboard cpu.

2nd) I would like to see an api, developed for DirectX and one similar to OpenGl. This api would contain standardized AI routines, such as pathfinding in 2d or 3D, etc etc etc. These api calls can be software executed OR in conjunction with the card manufacture above, hardware accelerated using the above AI cards.

What you think about this one... i think its about time we get standardized routines for all us developers and quit RE-INVENTING THE DAMN AI WHEEL!!
We are simply making the stakes higher and higher... an arms race, if you will.

quote: Original post by ferretman
I base this on two reasons. First, developers don''t seem terribly motivated to "beat" each other''s AI, at least not yet. I''ve heard and read lots of articles in which so-and-so will offer "more scenarios", or "more realistic graphics", or whatnot--but I haven''t heard anybody (yet) say "we''re going to beat that game''s AI!".

Second, I''m still having a hard time believing that AI per se in a game like Go or C&C really can compare in terms of intricacy to any decent human player. It''s one thing to beat the human; it''s another to seem human yourself.

Ah, as usual I have problems putting my deep thoughts in words
I meant an arms race between the human and the machine.
Think Deep Blue, here. We have finally beaten Kasparov... yay... big deal ! Does Deep Blue have an interesting conversation? does it make one of those so human mistakes ? Can you play on its nerves to actually win (I know I do that a lot to other players) ?
We simply try to program better and better, offering an increasingly difficult challenge. But just like rats adapt to increasingly lethal poisons, our little brains adapt to the difficulties offered, and tempered anyway by game designers...

Well, I dont consider that there will anything really big in AI that will come from MMORPG. I am much more convinced that there will be better techniques to deal with data, especially level storage. I am still wondering how the heck they deal with thousands of players on so vast levels... But anyway, the big deal in MMORPG is the environment and other players, so I dont think the AI is all that important. Some human controlled NPC would do. IMHO (but that''s more of a design topic, I talked about this more in GAme Design forum)

Then there are CRPGs. Well, you *would* think that there would be something coming from there. But the plain fact is that I am just not convinced at all. It''s much easier to make a massively scripted game, than a freeform open one. If you have ever played a pen&paper RPG, you''ll know I am right

Then the choice is between FPS and RTS, right ?
I would love to think that the AI in FPS will be greatly improved, and yada yada yada... but I just don''t see it happen as fast as what it can in RTS.
Those foxy assassins might whoop my ass with their speed, and agility, but they still can''t plan my reactions, and just dont seem to understand that shooting *through* your comrades, even if it''s to reach me, the player, is a bad thing...

Besides, RTS have a simpler environment to deal with. As I said, I don''t think you can improve the AI if you dont start by improving the environment they evolve in. And having a kick ass AI in a 3D game is much harder than in a 2D based game. Not because of the one dimension missing, but because 2d based games tend to have more meaning bound to them. Just think for instance, of the nature of the ground. In an RTS, each cell is attributed some nature that the AI can work upon, knowing they are gonna be slowed down, etc. In a 3D game, because we need to speed up all the rendering, all this ground is a bunch of polygons amongst thousands of others. They do have a texture, maybe some special effect bound to them. But they have no meaning per se. When a 3D AI will be able to look at a bunch of polygons and call them "a door", or "the ground", then I''ll start changing my mind.

And don''t think I am an addict of RTS, I actually hate the damn f*&kers because they are just sooooooo far from playing with miniatures and a bunch of friends on your living room carpet.
But for the moment, I put my bets on RTS

We are simply making the stakes higher and higher... an arms race, if you will.

Ah, as usual I have problems putting my deep thoughts in words
I meant an arms race between the human and the machine.
Think Deep Blue, here. We have finally beaten Kasparov... yay... big deal ! Does Deep Blue have an interesting conversation? does it make one of those so human mistakes ? Can you play on its nerves to actually win (I know I do that a lot to other players) ?
We simply try to program better and better, offering an increasingly difficult challenge. But just like rats adapt to increasingly lethal poisons, our little brains adapt to the difficulties offered, and tempered anyway by game designers...

Well, I dont consider that there will anything really big in AI that will come from MMORPG. I am much more convinced that there will be better techniques to deal with data, especially level storage. I am still wondering how the heck they deal with thousands of players on so vast levels... But anyway, the big deal in MMORPG is the environment and other players, so I dont think the AI is all that important. Some human controlled NPC would do. IMHO (but that''s more of a design topic, I talked about this more in GAme Design forum)

Then there are CRPGs. Well, you *would* think that there would be something coming from there. But the plain fact is that I am just not convinced at all. It''s much easier to make a massively scripted game, than a freeform open one. If you have ever played a pen&paper RPG, you''ll know I am right

Then the choice is between FPS and RTS, right ?
I would love to think that the AI in FPS will be greatly improved, and yada yada yada... but I just don''t see it happen as fast as what it can in RTS.
Those foxy assassins might whoop my ass with their speed, and agility, but they still can''t plan my reactions, and just dont seem to understand that shooting *through* your comrades, even if it''s to reach me, the player, is a bad thing...

Besides, RTS have a simpler environment to deal with. As I said, I don''t think you can improve the AI if you dont start by improving the environment they evolve in. And having a kick ass AI in a 3D game is much harder than in a 2D based game. Not because of the one dimension missing, but because 2d based games tend to have more meaning bound to them. Just think for instance, of the nature of the ground. In an RTS, each cell is attributed some nature that the AI can work upon, knowing they are gonna be slowed down, etc. In a 3D game, because we need to speed up all the rendering, all this ground is a bunch of polygons amongst thousands of others. They do have a texture, maybe some special effect bound to them. But they have no meaning per se. When a 3D AI

It''s a lot of work getting a Master''s...hang in there!

Everytime one of my students comes back to me to thank me for my patience, efforts, and to tell me that "now, I understand", it makes all the difficulties seem worth it, in the end.
And then I think of the parable : Jesus only got one out of forty leprous to come back and say thanks. So far I have a better success

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement