🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Monopol

Started by
5 comments, last by JL 22 years, 9 months ago
Have you ever played then non-computer game monopol, I don''t know if this game only exists in Sweden. Well, this is a game about finances, you have paper-money, and you buy companys. I''m am going to make a similar game, but for computers. I know these kind of games exists, and that''s it is pretty easy. Well, my only problem so far is how to make the AI, for this games. I have never programmed with AI before, so that''s why I don''t know much about it. If you have some ideas where to start, I would be thankful. All response is appreciated! /J Lindroos
/J Lindroos
Advertisement
Are you talking about monopoly, maybe? The game where the players move around the board, buying properties and building houses and hotels?
If it is monopoly, then it is fairly easy to write the AI for it.

First, define the choices that the player must make:

To buy a property, or not

To build houses/hotels or not.

And unless I''m mistaken, that is all there is in the way of meaningful choices.

The AI player could have a few preferences of cheap properties over expensive ones, or it could just buy as much as possible until it runs out of money, then it stocks up on houses each time it gets more income.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
In case anyone is still wondering, the game he''s talking about *is* Monopoly (''Monopol'' in Swedish).
i once played a "naughty" version of monopoly on the pc.
You had to buy prostitutes. Once you bought 4 prostitutes,
you can buy 1 brothel.

even the "chance" and "community chest" was funny,
it was "castity" and "comodity breast"..

hehehhee

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }
Look up utility theory. While money does not directly equate to utility, within the realms of the monopol(y) game it is a good substitute!

You can use utility theory as the basis of a rational agent. This is, though, not trivial stuff. If this is your first AI then you might just want to implement a finite state machine for your AI.

Cheers,

Timkin
Well, as I understand this is very much ground in AI. Well I hoped to get some steps nearer anyway. Guess I need to play the game much more

Anyway, I learned how to spell "Monopol" in english
Thanks a lot!

/J Lindroos, Sweden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement