Advertisement

How to structure things in an RTS for AIs

Started by August 02, 2011 09:27 PM
11 comments, last by ApochPiQ 13 years, 1 month ago

What if I want to write my AI using behavior trees instead of flat state machines?

Then the transition logic is collected and packed up in a really neat reasoner. rolleyes.gif

This whole conversation is really kind of obtuse until we set some better bounds on what we are trying to accomplish. mellow.gif

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

Quite busy right now, but in the next day or so I'll post back with the architecture I implemented. It's far from perfect, but I'm trying to get a 100% working version out there. Then I'd love to discuss this all further and refine things more.
==============================
A Developers Blog | Dark Rock Studios - My Site
Advertisement

[quote name='ApochPiQ' timestamp='1312770494' post='4846021']
What if I want to write my AI using behavior trees instead of flat state machines?

Then the transition logic is collected and packed up in a really neat reasoner. rolleyes.gif[/quote]

My point was that there are (good) ways to structure an AI implementation which are not fundamentally isomorphic to the simplistic state machine structure that was being suggested.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement