🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Good AI Programming Books

Started by
2 comments, last by IADaveMark 12 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I'm doing an independent study this coming semester where the large majority of my time will be focused around game AI. I am doing this in C# with XNA, and am having trouble finding any books that cover this topic using C#. I am hoping some people on here might know of any? Even though I am looking for C#, I am open to non-language specific books as well.
Advertisement

Hey, I'm doing an independent study this coming semester where the large majority of my time will be focused around game AI. I am doing this in C# with XNA, and am having trouble finding any books that cover this topic using C#. I am hoping some people on here might know of any? Even though I am looking for C#, I am open to non-language specific books as well.

Sticky topic at the top of the forum. You'll know which one. rolleyes.gif

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

[quote name='TheDodo' timestamp='1313713870' post='4851000']

Sticky topic at the top of the forum. You'll know which one. rolleyes.gif
[/quote]

Yes, but that doesn't cover what I asked, which was a C# specific book.

Yes, but that doesn't cover what I asked, which was a C# specific book.

Correction... you mentioned that you were open to non-language-specific books as well. Those are the ones that you have to choose from. The pointed absence of the mention of a C#-specific title would imply that there are no C#-specific books available and, as such, we have defaulted to your broader request.

That being said, 95% of game code is in C++ with a smattering of scripting languages such as Lua, Python, etc. in there. C# is, by its very nature, a modification of C++. It would, therefore, behoove you to at least be familiar with C++ and make the translation on your own... especially since your foray into C# game programming is going to be full of those translations as you attempt to use books, code snippets, etc.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement