🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting AI

Started by
3 comments, last by OscarYang 12 years, 11 months ago
Hey Guys!! I am interested in starting to learn AI programming for games but have no idea where I can begin with. I want to use AI for simple games right. Any recommendation about where to start??
Advertisement
There is a good book I do now, Programming Game AI by Example. The code in c++ is a mess but if you got some experience you will find your way through, not that bad. The explanations in the book though are really clear. Go get it, but take it slow. :cool:

Check out my journal as I work on the book I will post cleaner C# code.
Look up state machines, A* and steering behaviours, they are 3 things are are used in so many computer games. You can probably find some good tutorials on the internet.
Also if you say what kind of computer game you want to learn to make AI for because there are so many different types. i.e. Chess A.I will be alot different to FPS A.I or RTS A.I.

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

Note the "recommended books and sites" sticky post in this forum.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Hey! AI is a very big topic and it covers many many grounds. Generally a good place to start is to learn by example and understand how they program computers to problem solve games. And what I mean by games is good old Chess, Checkers, Clue and so on. I am writing an AI guide (on my sig below) and you should check it out. It is not complete but it does have a list of topics. You should start with State and Search as majority of the AI problems are solved that way.

Hey Guys!! I am interested in starting to learn AI programming for games but have no idea where I can begin with. I want to use AI for simple games right. Any recommendation about where to start??
Youtube:
My Channel

Video Lessons:
Java Programming Lessons

Tutorials Written (Not-Active):
Introduction to A.I.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement