🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Soccer AI from the book Programming Game AI by Example

Started by
1 comment, last by calculemus1988 12 years, 10 months ago
Hello guys,

Has someone worked on chapter 4 from Programming Game AI by Example?

I have finished the previous chapters, you can check out my journal, I am looking for a person to talk about stuff in chapter 4. For start, I am interested if someone actually made that soccer game.

Thanks
Advertisement
Many of us here have read it. What specifically were you interested in?

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

I read the whole chapter like maybe three times over. I coded everything, but tested nothing. I understood the code, I worked through it over and over couple of times until it felt like I understood it all.

The challenge now I face is how do I test all this, where do I begin. In the next days, I will try to separate out small chunks of code that I can test. For example I will test only if the goalkeeper moves correctly, I will control the ball with the mouse pointer to have more control of the situation. That way I will be sure that the goalkeeper is fine. Next I can move on to test just one player, and in similar fashion test how he reacts to the ball. Then I could test just one player, given some opponents positions, if he could properly find the best spot to support an attacker. And so on and on, until bigger patterns for testing things start to emerge, and finally to test the whole thing as one.

So any opinions on this, or how you guys went about doing it, shoot em here.

Edit: I started testing basic things, like do the walls definitions match what I draw, does the playing area match the drawing and stuff like that... Seems like I will do this kind of testing for like a week. So I spent a week studying and coding and another week will go into just testing what was coded.

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement