🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPG Design

Started by
7 comments, last by Murph1083 22 years, 9 months ago
Me and my friend want to create an RPG, but we dont know what software we should use to create levels (worlds), weapons, Items and characters. Alot of people talk about using milkshape for characters, but i want to create different weapons and items. what can I use to do this, along with Worlds?
Advertisement
1. Who is programming?
2. Do you have someone that knows how to make graphics?
3. Do you know what a design document is? Youll need to make one.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Drizzt, two words, SHUT UP.

Now, for a serious response. I used Milkshape, and I must say, for a such a little package, it is good. You could use it to make the characters, weapons and items. I wouldn''t recomend it to make the levels though. You should either ''rape'' some other map editor to your needs or make your own. Milkshape is made more for making low polygon models of things.

"...."
quote: Original post by Lunatic Raven
Drizzt, two words, SHUT UP.

Now, for a serious response. I used Milkshape, and I must say, for a such a little package, it is good. You could use it to make the characters, weapons and items. I wouldn't recomend it to make the levels though. You should either 'rape' some other map editor to your needs or make your own. Milkshape is made more for making low polygon models of things.

lol. Lunatic Raven, he said he wants to make an RPG all together, not just create graphics for an RPG.

You need to have someone who knows how to use Milkshape 3D or learn how to use it.

You also need someone to program the game, unless you know how to do that yourself.

WIth your advice, hell make game graphics, and then he wil realize he cannot make the game.

SO before you ruin someone's wish, you should think about those two words yourself..

"I've sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do'Urden

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on September 23, 2001 5:07:08 PM
I don''t see how I am ruining his dream by helping him with what software he should use, I think you are ruining his dream by basically saying, don''t bother to start. He never asked about anything besides what he should use to create the levels and graphics. For all you know, he could have a PHD in computer science. That is the problem with every message board out there, people that think they are ''elite'' decide to crush peoples dreams, rather than reading there post and answering their question. So next time, instead of being elite, why not just answer his question, or not say anything at all.
"...."
Nevermind. Whatever you may do, good luck to you.

Just remember that graphics are not the only part of developing a game.

"I've sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do'Urden

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on September 23, 2001 5:40:38 PM

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on September 25, 2001 8:17:45 PM
Thanks Lunatic Raven
Here is a 3d Engine with some incredible graphics and it''s easy to use. To check it out just go to www.geocities.com/lanerious/Morfit.html and click on the banner at the top of the page. Be sure that if you''re interested in downloading or buying it to go through that website. Thanks!
quote: by murph - we dont know what software we should use to create levels (worlds), weapons, Items and characters

Hmm, maybe u need to take some midol drizzt because he in no way asks for opinions on whos making design docs, whos programming, or who is creating the game objects. It was a statement of the context of his question, which is very specific about TOOLS.
-end rant-

Anyways, Ive been lookin into what tools to use and for creatures, weapons, or objects I go with Milkshape or Truespace or (name your inexpensive 3d modeler here). If your into quake models, see Quake Modeler and using quake models/etc in your game. (just make sure you have the rights of the owner to any material before using it!!)

As for levels, depends, but i am investigating using Worldcraft or some other quake map maker and modify it for your own maps. Or hell, take up the great experience of creating your own level making tool!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement