🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Name for MMORPG

Started by
18 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 12 years, 2 months ago
Hi,

I need to find a name for my simple MMORPG. What is it like?

• Two teams (about 20 people each) trying to defeat the other camp.
  • Everyone can choose one "job" - lumberjack, farmer, builder etc. and one "main weapon" - sword, bow or spell

I just can't find any suitable name. Any ideas?

Thanks
Advertisement
Well a lot of games tend to get their title from their lore. Whats the name of the world its set on or some other crucial thing in its story?

You can of course name it after some central part to the game-play (Rift is an example of a game that has done this) but i can't think of one from the info in your post.

Also MMOGs then to put online or even world in their name so that people know from just reading the name if its an MMOG or not.

Well a lot of games tend to get their title from their lore. Whats the name of the world its set on or some other crucial thing in its story?

You can of course name it after some central part to the game-play (Rift is an example of a game that has done this) but i can't think of one from the info in your post.

Also MMOGs then to put online or even world in their name so that people know from just reading the name if its an MMOG or not.

I don't have any story yet :(

Edit: I asked Cleverbot to help me with the name. After complaining he said: Cuttlefish, Tinntinabulation, Console advert, Chartreuse, Skittles. This guy is kinda smart :D

[quote name='Bigdeadbug' timestamp='1317049801' post='4866087']

I don't have any story yet :(

Edit: I asked Cleverbot to help me with the name. After complaining he said: Cuttlefish, Tinntinabulation, Console advert, Chartreuse, Skittles. This guy is kinda smart :D

[/quote]

Start by making the game, it doesn't make any sense at all to pick the name before you even know what the game is about.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Start by making the game, it doesn't make any sense at all to pick the name before you even know what the game is about.

"I don't have a story" doesn't mean "I don't have a game". Also, I've written exactly what the game is about.
If that's literally all the game is about, and you don't have a lore or backstory or anything, then the names that come to mind include "Annihilation," "There Can Be Only One," "Wipeout," "Conquest," "War For Survival," "Build And Destroy," "The Foe Must Die," "Warcraft" [oops -- been done, strike that one], "It's Us Or Them," "Burndown," "Rampage," "They're In Our Way!" "Struggle," "No Compromise," "This World Ain't Big Enough," or "Plowshares To Swords." Hopefully one of those will work or at least give you some ideas.
Naming and branding for public release and advertisement is often one of the last things done. projects have working titles to be referred to internally, but aren't often finalized until they're being published.

I'd say stick with something simple. "Apprentice war" or the like. The name is not very important until you're making advertisements for players.

Hi,

I need to find a name for my simple MMORPG. What is it like?

• Two teams (about 20 people each) trying to defeat the other camp.
  • Everyone can choose one "job" - lumberjack, farmer, builder etc. and one "main weapon" - sword, bow or spellI just can't find any suitable name. Any ideas?

Thanks

Camps of peasents (COP) Battle Campers......
_-_-_-_Lore_Hunter_-_-_-_

/_()R-

This. With my games, I usually don't even think about the final name until the story and dialogue are at least 3/4 of the way fleshed out. IMO, it's only around that point that you can come up with a name that encompasses the entirety of the game, not just the concept you have when you first start developing.

I say come up with a codename for now ("Project Tinntinabulation," naturally!), and worry about the final name when you're much further along.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

A combination of FPS and RTS and RPG? Hmmm. Good potential. Add strategy towards strengthening your allies to improve your chances in battle. Are you leaning more towards death match or something else in regards to PVP?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement