🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using Flow Field :)

Started by
2 comments, last by IADaveMark 12 years, 9 months ago
it is very peculiar when 2 objects try to avoid each other and suddenly go back to the original path.
Just like magnets. Any good aesthetic suggestions?
Besides, the separation sometimes ends up colliding walls...
Thanks
Jack
Advertisement
Wow... what a horrible way to ask a question. Be that as it may...

The collision with walls problem can be mitigated by also including a repulsion field away from the walls. As for the first half of your question, I'm not sure what it is you are concerned with. Can you perhaps elaborate?

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Okay, I mean the objects slide over each other on their sides. curve over each other which looks like a ying and a yang. Thanks Jack
You still haven't explained enough of your model for us to understand what it is you are trying to accomplish. You say "go back to their original path" but you imply by your title that you are using "flow fields" but the behavior makes us think you are using local steering/avoidance. If your agents are going to a target as their ultimate goal, then they should simply continue in a straight line after avoiding the other agent. However, your "yin/yang" simile suggest they are desperately trying to get back onto a pre-determined path. Perhaps a screenshot, video, or diagram would help?

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement