🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Story mapping / Dialog Tree Software

Started by
10 comments, last by Bigdeadbug 12 years, 4 months ago
What software do you guys use to keep track of both large story arcs as well as specific dialog texts?
This topic has come up in the past but it's been a while since then so I figure it might be a good time to update the list with new software
Advertisement
There's a relatively new one out called "Articy: Draft". They have some youtubes of demos. Looks interesting.

Articy: Draft looks really good. Thanks for the heads up.

In the past I have used Photoshop for dialog trees. Although it's not great at doing them it's become my go to program because I've grown so used to it. Also used Power Point at times as a way to draft and store larger parts of text.

You could try a wiki site on a free webhost. It seems well-suited to an interactive dialog tree model.

It's also searchable and easy-to-use.
The wiki mention reminded me that I was once advised to use HTML. Personally I didn't and still don't have enough experience with HTML to utilize it properly, but I was told it was very good at this kind of thing.

The wiki mention reminded me that I was once advised to use HTML. Personally I didn't and still don't have enough experience with HTML to utilize it properly, but I was told it was very good at this kind of thing.

You could use html, but from my experience with dialogue trees as a player, wiki software is just as useful and much simpler. Just make the options hyperlinks to the next npc dialogue branch. I mean, a wiki is basically user-friendly html where text formatting is concerned. The same goes for story arcs. Lots of writers use wiki software to keep track of story arcs, and depending on the game type, player action trees could be done in a wiki as well.
I have absolutely no experience in tracking stories, but could you use visio?

Also, you can set up a wiki with little to no knowledge of HTML, but I would always advise to learn a little bit of it.

Also, you can set up a wiki with little to no knowledge of HTML, but I would always advise to learn a little bit of it.

And html isn't that hard to learn. It's generally when you add a scipting language like javascript or php that most people start to have trouble.

[quote name='Bigdeadbug' timestamp='1319762237' post='4877728']

You could use html, but from my experience with dialogue trees as a player, wiki software is just as useful and much simpler. Just make the options hyperlinks to the next npc dialogue branch. I mean, a wiki is basically user-friendly html where text formatting is concerned. The same goes for story arcs. Lots of writers use wiki software to keep track of story arcs, and depending on the game type, player action trees could be done in a wiki as well.
[/quote]

Wikis are probably the easiest route for the majority of people; I can only imagine HTML being better/easier to use for those who have a decent amount of experience in it.

When I was being advised to use it we were about to make some interactive fiction and the bonus of HTML was that it allowed people to keep track of the story tree but then with some small modifications at the end it could be turned into the final product. It doesn't have too much relevance to this topic but i though it was worth mentioning.

I use Visio for all my digital graphing needs, such as story/writing and code design. And it has great integration with the rest of office, Plus with Visual Studio you can write plug-ins for it the same as if you were working for Office (or so I am told, haven't personally tried making plug-ins for Visio, since I've no need, and with no will, there isn't a way).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement