Advertisement

Introducing myself & my music

Started by November 19, 2011 10:59 PM
6 comments, last by nsmadsen 12 years, 8 months ago
Hi All,

There's a really strong community here for musicians/video game enthusiasts of all ilks, so I thought i'd join and introduce myself - my name's Matt. I've been writing/sequencing music as a hobbyist for a few years now. I have a full time job so at the moment I'm creating music purely for the enjoyment; i've participated in various projects over the last couple of years such as writing the music for a gaming podcast, provided some music on some smaller scale games and friend's university projects etc.

I would appreciate any comments and feedback you have on these pieces; I will be sure to do the same on similar threads. If you'd like to collaborate on any projects feel free to reply/mail/tweet me.

• Demo Reel is here - this contains around eleven of my pieces in 30 second snippets.
  • Example Chip tune piece in full is here.
  • Example Orchestral piece in full is here.
  • Example Rock piece in full in here.
    Full versions of all my pieces are available to download on my blog.

Many thanks!
[size="1"]Matt Javanshir | Blog | Twitter | [email="%20matthew.m.javanshir%20at%20googlemail.com"]Mail[/email]
Hi Matt, welcome to the forum!
Jonny Martyr
Composer & Sound Designer for Games & Film
www.jonnymartyr.com
Advertisement
Yes, welcome! :)

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

Hello! Nice tunes man! smile.gif

The chip tune, personally i would like to have a kick drum in this track to make it more banging.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Orchestral piece: wow I like the expressive cello/violin and the choir. The piano i think sounds to "staccato" and would try to use the sustain pedal to se if it makes a more smooth sound.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Rock tune: Good track! But i feel the mix is bringing the track down, maybe adding more stereo panning, reverb, delay would make it more "stereo"
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Hope this feedback was helpful... smile.gif
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color="#1c2837"]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]
http://soundcloud.com/felixn
Hi Matt,

Here are my first impressions: First track on demo real sounds great - really good atmosphere with this one. Solid playing on track 2. The violin part in track 4 seems a little quiet. Track 5 is lovely - nice instrumentation - sounds like the sims - although i think the bassline and drums don't really fit this mood - i'd go for something a little more latin. Track 6 - I think the guitars dont have much presence - it sounded like a big mess of guitars - no distinction between fore- and background instruments. Track 8 (i think) the choirs drown out the guitar when they come in.

It seems you focus around the piano. I would suggest (personally) expanding your harmonic language - you seem to use triads a lot and repetitive chord patterns. I also find some of it a little bland and imitative of a stereotypical film music style - i mean no offence but the stance i come from with my music is particularly against this kind of music.

You have some fairly good productions and musical material but i'd suggest that with production you aim to make things more clear and crisp as sometimes the mixing is a little off (with guitars in track 6 and the choirs in track 8). Musically as I've said (although it's hard to tell because of the short fragments of music) i would suggest striving for a less repetitive harmonic structure and to expand your harmonic language to more extended chords away from diatonic traids! :)

Hope this is constructive and helpful. And, as always, all of the advice i give are things i need to work on myself!

Calum

Calum Bowen,
Composer & Sound Designer,
www.calumbowen.com
Hi All,

Really appreciate all the welcomes and comments. Glad you enjoyed listening; the suggestions are very constructive and there are some things raised here that i'm aware I could do to further develop these pieces; they have been very well articulated in this thread which is great.

Calum - you are right around the piano; I'd consider it my "go to" choice most probably because I've been playing one since I was around five so i'm incredibly biased around it's merits as an instrument ;).

Again, many thanks!
[size="1"]Matt Javanshir | Blog | Twitter | [email="%20matthew.m.javanshir%20at%20googlemail.com"]Mail[/email]
Advertisement
You have some really good songs. Are you aware that there is no subscribe button on your blog?

Game Music Life

Because Game Music Is Life

Cool chiptune man! :) I felt like I was 8 again and holding a classic NES controller. The only comment I'd made is to experiment with more fast arpeggios in the background as it was a common compositional technique used quite often back then. Could make it feel even more authentic - but that's just a minor critique. Thanks for sharing and welcome!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement