🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Would this make a good game

Started by
14 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 12 years, 2 months ago
A couple nights ago I had an interesting dream that I thought might be a good story for a game. The dream was that around the world th earth began to break causing major cities to fall into the middle of the earth. The people that survived learned that there was a whole different world inside the middle of the earth. They had different tribes that were out to destory us and we had to learn how to adapt and survive. There were creatures from different time periods like t-rex some from the ice age, some mutant looking creature like a spider/scorpion.
Advertisement
No, it wouldn't.
Wait. Dinosaurs? In that case: Yes, maybe*.

* Depends on the game, really. You're basically asking whether or not "The Grapes of Wrath" make a good game. What kind of game? Both would probably make terrible hocky-MMOs, in my opinion.

The people that survived learned that there was a whole different world inside the middle of the earth. They had different tribes that were out to destory us and we had to learn how to adapt and survive. There were creatures from different time periods like t-rex some from the ice age, some mutant looking creature like a spider/scorpion.

You've been watching too much Sanctuary. laugh.gif
( Not that you can do such a thing... )

Sounds interesting, non-the-less. I'd play a game with a story like that, provided it was well-made.

Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.

Well I see two questions here really. Would this make a good game? Yes, if you have the skills/vision to make it one. Would this make a good story for a game? It's an OK start for one, it's not exactly original or ground-breaking but with enough time and effort it could be moulded into something special. Again it depends on your own level of skill as a writer.

Are you asking "is this a good game idea"? If so, it belongs in Game Design, not Writing.
But you didn't say anything about what the game itself would be - what genre, what platform, what play mechanic.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Are you asking "is this a good game idea"? If so, it belongs in Game Design, not Writing.
But you didn't say anything about what the game itself would be - what genre, what platform, what play mechanic.

^This.

@OP: What you've posted is a story (or what could be a story) rather than a game idea.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2]."

[size=2]~ [size=1]Antheus

A good game is a combination of more than just a cool story, you'd need to have a good gameplay, cool story, nice graphics... music, functionality and so forth... depending on the game type you can also remove some of those factors like Tetris, it has no storyline but its still a good game [judging from popularity].

I think the question you made here is "would this story idea be gameable?" then yes, sure why not... it gives plenty of directions to go with, lots of concepts to create... the real challenge is: are you good enough to actually turn that concept into a real storyline and then into a game with cool gameplay?
Towns Life Project - Celebrating 3rd Year of Development on 27th June - Towns Life
Many, many completely different games are possible in the same setting. For example:
  • Something similar to Mr. Driller but slightly less abstract (fetching treasures in the sunken cities).
  • A 3D pterodactyl flight simulator, freely inspired by films like Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon.
  • A completely mainstream FPS: well-armed defenders of humanity against bizarre monsters amidst urban ruins.
  • A management sim: evacuate the city before it falls into the abyss.
  • A RTS game set in the subterranean wilderness, with a possibly interesting mixture of high-tech and exotic units and developments.
  • A stealth game in which a little child tries to go home without being eaten by dinosaurs.
  • Monster bloodsports: train and enhance your own spider-scorpion, and have it fight other aberrations for glory and for money.
  • Dinosaur racing, possibly chasing tasty humans: fictional predators might be intelligent and well-fed enough to be interested in sports.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Story itself is not going to make game great. Concentrate on gameplay, but dont make motiveless game. Even Angry Birds have a motive. When making up a story, ask yourself this? Whos doing what? Why? When? Where?
_-_-_-_Lore_Hunter_-_-_-_

/_()R-

No, it wouldn't.
Wait. Dinosaurs? In that case: Yes, maybe*.

+1

if a game had weak / minimal story, but had cool things to battle like dinosaurs( or something else ) then i would proberbly play it just for that.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement