🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this method a right choice to start a game programming?

Started by
10 comments, last by mcnation 22 years, 9 months ago
Well, Apple Basic was my first language, followed by C and then C++ and LPC, so I know from experience it is possible to learn programming that way.

This was before the days of widespread, stable OO languages however (back in the eighties). I suggest Java as I find it is widespread and useful enough to be of value (check any "Programmer Wanted" add section, a lot of them ask for Java knowledge, those out of the games sector at least), and simple enough to learn. Pascal would have been a great choice 10 years ago, but it just is not that much state-of-the art anymore IMHO.

Dactylos: Of course you are right about HTML not being a programming language and all the rest you said. I suggested it as a first start to get down the very basics (editing files with a text editor, learn syntax and some stucture) as it is easy, useful and you pretty much need to know how to create simple html docs even as a programmer, for documentation.

Null: Every language can be used to write obfusicated code of course, but C++ makes this much easier and it is more widespread in that language than in Java. Plus learning all that core dumping alloc/free stuff is quite frustating for a beginner IMHO and not really necessary to get started (long live garbage collection!). He will not programm a real time, 40 FPS, 3-D First person shooter with direct ties into the graphic card driver on his first try anyways, or do you think so?

And you can implement UML-designs pretty straight forward in Java, which SHOULD be what most software is designed in

/Sandra
Advertisement
Whoa! Wait! Don''t waste your want to program with MFC. It is wrong for Game Prog''in. The Win32 API is the place to start. If you want a skeleton just post it and I will give you one along with many others. Good luck and I am happy there is another with game programming interest.

As always,
Keep prog''in

SloppyJoe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement