🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Microsoft C/C++ 7.0

Started by
15 comments, last by perryrhodan 22 years, 9 months ago
You can try MSVC v4.2 if you can find that

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
IIRC, MSVC4.0 onwards had no support for DOS application programming. In fact, 4.0 came bundled with 1.52 - which supported 16-/32-bit (with an extender) DOS programming as well as Win16. MSVC went strictly Win32 from 4.0, as MS were seriously trying to push 95 at the time. It came with the WinG library, which was the "spiritual" precursor to DirectX (I know they bought it, so don''t nit pick!)

quote: Wouldnt a book about 3D game programming have come out AFTER DOS was popular? I mean... Doom was only 2.5D....

Au contraire, mon ami. There were several books on 3D programming for DOS. And remember that the original Descent - fully 3D with 6DOF - was a DOS game. Dark Forces was a DOS game. Duke Nukem 3D was a DOS game.

quote: Also, isn''t there any other compiler that uses DOS?

Do you mean other compilers for DOS? If so, yes - plenty. There''s DJGPP, which is Free (as in speech). There were Symantec, Watcom and Borland compilers for DOS (BCB5.0 supports DOS, I believe).

So perryrhodan, your options are DJGPP (a DOS-port of GCC) and Borland, for free compilers. I''m sure there are a few others, but DOS really only lives on in very specialized setup (cases where institutions have invested heavily in infrastructure and just can''t upgrade yet, for a variety of reasons.) The principles are applicable to Windows, and you can still perform software rendering (through GDI, for example) if you wish.
So what if u wanna learn 3d graphics "from the ground up"? Im not trying to be hard on you but it still begs the question...if its such a pain in the ass, why go backwards?

Why cant u learn 3d graphics using current compilers with current languages? The concepts havent changed man, just there is so many cards and stuff that the "graphics api" like directX and opengl was required. Hence the drop of dos games and as u can see why its so difficult to find them, cuz theyre a bitch.
Sure that book was great for its time, but that was printed when? 1985? Oh well, good luck and happy programming.
hm ok, your right... so i think the book will be my "3d graphics theory reference"
Oluseyi good idea to render with gdi... ill try this one
thanks alot guys
perry rhodan
26.01.02 - the day we took revengeFC Schalke 04 - FC Bayern München 5:1 (2:0)
If after everyones advice to start with windows and opengl/directx and ditch DOS, and you still want to have a quick go with DOS then try http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/ it''s 32bit, C, C++ and above all for DOS. I seem to remember Quake 1 was written with it, oh and it''s free.

BTW It might be best to Ditch DOS and concentrate on the windows/opengl/directx
quote:
IIRC, MSVC4.0 onwards had no support for DOS application programming. In fact, 4.0 came bundled with 1.52 - which supported 16-/32-bit

As yes, that was it, I think 4.2 was the first one with no 16bit support .

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
i had your same dilimma. i have that book and ended up using DJGPP. It took quite some time to port the code over, as DJGPP only does protected mode code, so accessing the registers and doing to inline assembly took a bit of tweaking. Later, i bought Windows Game Programming for Dummies, written by the same author, and ported the 3d engine in BAo3DGP to DirectX 2d buy using the library i developed with WGPFD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement