Advertisement

Tetris sounds

Started by February 12, 2012 01:33 AM
8 comments, last by SimonForsman 12 years, 6 months ago
Any one know where I can find these for download? I am looking for the new line clear and the gb tetris lines clear sound specifically(I would also settle for a guide on how to rip them myself if that must be done). Any help would be great, thanks.
Never mind, I figured it out. I recorded a game with fraps, exported the wave with virtual dub and extracted the particular sound into a wav file using audacity. Hope this help anyone else looking for them.
Advertisement

Any one know where I can find these for download? I am looking for the new line clear and the gb tetris lines clear sound specifically(I would also settle for a guide on how to rip them myself if that must be done). Any help would be great, thanks.

Never mind, I figured it out. I recorded a game with fraps, exported the wave with virtual dub and extracted the particular sound into a wav file using audacity. Hope this help anyone else looking for them.
[/quote]

Glad you figured it out - but you DO realize that ripping and using audio assets from an established IP which has been published is illegal, right? Granted if you're just making it for educational purporses for just for yourself the liklihood of being caught is very low. But if you're planning on releasing this game you could find yourself in trouble - especially since you just publicly stated what you're trying to do and that you figured out it.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Glad you figured it out - but you DO realize that ripping and using audio assets from an established IP which has been published is illegal, right? Granted if you're just making it for educational purporses for just for yourself the liklihood of being caught is very low. But if you're planning on releasing this game you could find yourself in trouble - especially since you just publicly stated what you're trying to do and that you figured out it.
[/quote]

I would never try to sell a game that has commercial content. I might try to release a game for free that does. I mean at that point I am not that concerned with it. Who is going around trying to sue people using sounds from a game that is like 20 years old? I would like to believe not many people, and if they are, i don't believe they would get very much for it.
I think you're on potentially dodgy ground there. Say you were to release the game for free and it found it's way onto a site that was ad-supported. That site would essentially be making money using the copyrighted content that you had provided. I don't know where the legal responsibility lies (whether it would be you or the site that was "suable"), but using such a well-known sound effect only increases the chances of it being spotted. Some companies can be quite aggressive about protecting their IP (Heck, look at SOPA!) so I would say you'd be wise to just stick in an effect from freesound.org or something similar where you will definitely not get into any hot water.
Jonny Martyr
Composer & Sound Designer for Games & Film
www.jonnymartyr.com

I would never try to sell a game that has commercial content. I might try to release a game for free that does. I mean at that point I am not that concerned with it. Who is going around trying to sue people using sounds from a game that is like 20 years old? I would like to believe not many people, and if they are, i don't believe they would get very much for it.

A few things to consider: (and I'm not a lawyer and do not play one on TV but I can pretty much guess what they'd tell you)

- Tetris sequels are still coming out on various devices. It's a very popular and well known game. Whereas you could possibly get away with releasing free game using copyrighted IP from a game franchise that has been dead for X years (or decades) the fact that Tetris games are still being made and published to date is very damning in your case. Either situation is still illegal however which puts your game, your personal property and your business (if you have created any sort of company) at risk.

- Even releasing a game for free is still distribution which is still a violation of copyright. While it might change what kinds of damage(s) were brought against you - it's WELL known that Nintendo is really protective of their stuff and you could certainly still get a Cease and Desist letter from them.

- When royalty free sound effects are SO cheap (if not free), plenty are available and perfectly legal to use - why wouldn't you just get one of those instead of stealing a sound from the Gameboy version of Tetris? Forgive me but it just seems.... stupid. It comes off as a rather foolish and unnecessary risk that you're taking. Besides you've already publicly stated what you've done which makes any case against you even stronger.

I mean at that point I am not that concerned with it.
[/quote]

You don't factor into it. The copyrighted IP owners do. They don't care who you are, how you feel or your reasons for why you did what you did. If you get caught and brought to court - and granted that could be a huge if - the only thing that matters is if you used copyrighted material and distributed in your own game. From a legal stance that's all that concerns the IP owners and the judge.

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement
Thanks for your comments guys, I really didn't think it would have been that big a deal.

I do wonder though, I was planning on using html5 to develop this. Now it seems that when you go to website like newgrounds, they have flash games and movies that do seems to use copyrighted sounds. For instance I know i've heard various nintendo sounds have been used in mario and zelda remakes. I never really heard of anything happening to those authors so I thought maybe it would be ok if I didn't sell it.

Guess I could just save myself a potential headache and find royalty free sounds.

Thanks

I do wonder though, I was planning on using html5 to develop this. Now it seems that when you go to website like newgrounds, they have flash games and movies that do seems to use copyrighted sounds. For instance I know i've heard various nintendo sounds have been used in mario and zelda remakes. I never really heard of anything happening to those authors so I thought maybe it would be ok if I didn't sell it.

There are laws against speeding and stealing from a store and yet people still do it - and not all of them get caught. You could very well possibly get away with it or you might get caught. And if you get caught there are consequences. I think the points we're trying to bring to you is that it's actually not legal, not okay (unless you get written permission from the copyright owner(s)) and is definitely a risk. All one has to do is Google Nintendo (or any other game publisher) cease and desist and you'll find instances where fan sites and fan projects were shut down. http://bulbanews.bul...ngement_notices

One that comes to mind was an awesome remake of Chrono Trigger - which looked incredible! I would have loved to had played it. But Square closed it down. http://www.opcoder.c...rojects/chrono/ And it was well within their right to do so.

If you're going to put the work into it and take the time to distribute it - then why make it risky? Make it 100% legit and legal that way if you end up creating a huge block buster - you can profit from it!

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

One that comes to mind was an awesome remake of Chrono Trigger - which looked incredible! I would have loved to had played it. But Square closed it down. http://www.opcoder.c...rojects/chrono/ And it was well within their right to do so.

Such a sad story... I weep a little every time someone mentions it. sad.png

OP, there is a certain gray area, but simply taking sounds from a game and inserting them into yours is copyright infringement. (and sadly the Chrono Trigger remake is, too)

The Wikipedia article about derivative work is pretty detailed, so you might want to check it out.
All in all, I agree with Nathan: if the risk of getting sued can be easily avoided like in your case, you shouldn't take it.

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

Also , when it comes to Tetris it is worth being extra careful, the owners of the Tetris copyrights and trademarks are extremely aggressive, they've shut down tons of competing falling blocks games simply because they were too similar or had too similar names. (They even protect things like "their" block shapes very aggressivly), I'd recommend that you simply stay away from them, being on the right side of the law is only good enough if you got the will and resources to fight it out in court.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement