Advertisement

Baxandall Curve

Started by March 21, 2012 06:43 PM
-1 comments, last by chrisapplestudios 12 years, 5 months ago
Hi Everybody!

I'm new to this forum so let me introduce myself! Hello! I'm Chris. I've always loved game music, totally and completely. It's really cool to see so many people here who feel the same way. I'd love to make a career out of composing game music, so it looks like I've come to the right place. smile.png Thanks to everyone who's posted info on how to get started!

I had a question for you guys about the Baxandall curve. What is it, exactly? I've seen pictures of it -- a picture, to be exact, out of Bob Katz's book Mastering Audio - http://i29.tinypic.com/essz6t.png But I'm not entirely sure I'm using it right.

First, the picture doesn't have any units labeled, so I have no idea how sharp the curve is. Any ideas?

Second, I've found that many times my music sounds best when its spectrograph closely approaches the Baxandall curve (again, guessing at what its dynamic range is supposed to be.) The picture itself seems to be a spectrum of white noise, which closely hugs the curve. So is the Baxandall curve supposed to be a goal - you know, "make it look like this?" Or is it supposed to be just another kind of EQ curve, like Bells and Hi-Shelves? Obviously I wouldn't master a song on sight alone, but I've found that making my songs look like Baxandall curves have fixed mastering sessions that I thought were hopeless. So, anyone have any ideas on that?

Thanks all, I appreciate your time!

Chris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement