🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Terrain and loading models

Started by
2 comments, last by AshmanSNET 22 years, 8 months ago
Im just starting out on OpenGL and Ive done all the tutorials and have a grasp on the basics of OpenGL. Now I want to move into creating terrain like in games such as Tribes, Tribes 2, Deranged Raid etc. Now I also want to load a model I made in MAX. Question is, what format to I export it as and how can I load it into game? Thanks Ashman www.settlers.net
Advertisement
There are a number of ways to achieve your goal.

The simplest way to export a max model is to save it as a 3ds file. From there you can do one of two things.

#1. Look for a converter which takes the .3ds file and converts it into C code. (Not the best solution but it does work).

#2. Open the .3ds file and parse the data yourself.

There are plenty of tutorials on the internet which show you how to load .3ds files.

Terrain is a different subject but again there are tutorials on the net which show how to implement it.

If you can''t find any, use www.google.com and www.metacrawler.com do a search for "OpenGL and Terrain" you should get a bunch of hits.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Thanks I will do that!
Ashman
www.settlers.net
NeHe got some tutorials on model loading. Its not MAX but Milkshape. Still helped me quite a lot.

Good luck

Vulcan eyebrows, vulcan ears, that''s what I dream of, no more sorrow, no more tears, can''t you get me beamed up?Vulcan logic, vulcan needs, quite bizarre but still a dream. I''m still waiting for that beam

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement