🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Future of game programming?

Started by
22 comments, last by Arch@on 24 years, 5 months ago
Damnit dude, thats a real stupid and ignorant thing to say and even though you claim you read it from an "article" ("magical article") your really ignorant for posting it.
Fuck, its competition pure and simple ... and like in every other business your success depends upon your product. If you make a shitty game you dont get shit, if you make a good game your are the shit.

Hell what your saying is like " dont try and build a B shopping centre there because K-Mart is going to kick your ass anyway", " Hey dude don''t try to produce your own music record cause you''ll never sound like Puffy", " Hey dont try to build a school there cause ... oh shit Harvard is the best ", " Dont wear those dirty draws cause ..."
Do you see my point dude?

And where unemployment is concerned, what friggin job has security these days unless your the Ceo ? Shit do you know how much people can be fired just like < Senor snaps his fingers > that tommorow.

"Well, most of you will become B programmers" ... not here dude

"I found article " ... I''m sure you did ''Forest

< Senor thinks to himself > ... " I better go before I get mad "

Not for kiddies:

http://www.geocities.com/senor_p_slapbitchharder/

''No Props''
Chris "Senor_P" D
"Master Programmer"

Advertisement
There won''t be an abundance of *programmers* for quite awhile.

But there is already an abundance of *game programmers.* This is why US salaries for game stuff is typically 1/2 what it is for normal coding. Everyone wants to do games. Supply and demand.

Yes, few people actually can actually program games well... but you don''t have to be the best to get a game job. You just have to be good enough. And many people are good enough.

Just my $0.02 -

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios - home of Quaternion, 2000 GDC Indie Games Fest Finalist!
www.spin-studios.com
Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
Fisrtly the number of people who drop the idea of writing games for a living is very high. I have been aiming at a game carreer for some time. When I started many of my friends were doing the same. After a long time of hard work for not much income most of my friends left for other fields, I stuck with games. Now things are beggining to look good for me doing games. I just stuck with it longer than the rest.

Secondly, you do not have to use the film industry as an analogy, if you use the music industry you find that there are a huge number of products realeased in a year. Although there are only a few who make millions there are thousands who make an honest living.

Thirdly I''m just finishing a project on an extremely low budget. My next project will have a much larger budget but still tiny by comparison to the likes of Tiberian Sun. Budget only goes so far, it doesn''t buy a good game. Waterworld is a good movie analogy. The way you make it to doing the top titles is by doing the best you can with what you have got. I always try to produce a product that is better than that expected of me.

The best games will be made by the best people, not the largest pile of money. If you work on a project that is the game equivilent of End-of-days then you have a chance to make the part you worked on shine.
-That which does not kill us has made its last mistake.
You are talking utter trash.
When i was deciding what field to move into, i picked programming just for the complete opposite reasons you supply.
The supply to demand gap for programmers is RISING very fast, and although more students are taking CS, it still doesn''t come close to filling the gaps.

Programming is the FASTEST expanding occpuation on the face of this earth, and although it isn''t the highest paying(above it are Surgeons, Dentists, Lawyers, Chemical engineers) it is the most attractive, because all the others i named require higher qualifacations, and have very few job openings.

There is actually an article at http://www.ddj.com/articles/1998/9813/9813g/9813g.htm which supports this(i just nicked it off av.com, there are hundreds of articles along the same lines).

Get your facts right before you post such nonsense in future.

One last fact.
And, yes, it''s a magic article, a bloke down the pub told me, it happened to a friend of a friend type thing.
(Actually it''s probably very easy to substantiate, just ask the American government)
Anyway, the point...

For people to work in America they have to get permission from the American government, whether off their own backs or with help from an American firm.
For each trade there is an allotted number of places each year for non-domestic workers and once these places fill up no more people are allowed to apply to work in America in these trades.

There is, however, one trade which has been given an unlimited number of places in the last two years.
Skilled computing jobs.
I think the projected number of empty positions in the computing industry in America for 2002 is closing on a million.
Again, an unsubstatiated claim, but I''ll try and clarify it.

Nuff for now.

Mike
See during the cold war when the Russians were first people who pierced the eaths athomosphere, USA government gavedd huge sums of money to train mathematichs and physics. It means that during 60s USA universities and colleges granted more physicists than ever except now 80s and 90s it means that physicists had really hard times to find jobs, could this kind of thing happen to programmers, especially game programmers?

Someone who wasn''t brave enought to post with his name said:
"Hell what your saying is like " dont try and build a B shopping centre there because K-Mart is going to kick your ass anyway", " Hey dude don''t try to produce your own music record cause you''ll never sound like Puffy", " Hey dont try to build a school there cause ... oh shit Harvard is the best ", " Dont wear those dirty draws cause ..."
Do you see my point dude?"
>>no

I said:
Well, most of you will become B programmers, well at least you have good changes to become one... There is going to be huge unemployment during next 10 years in game programming(and programming general) or just like in Hollywood...

Mason said:
But there is already an abundance of *game programmers.* This is why US salaries for game stuff is typically 1/2 what it is for normal coding. Everyone wants to do games. Supply and demand.

I agree. I know many, many kids who want to be game programmer, including my friends. Of course i forgot that some of the programmers will become desingers and some artists, but well... Also application programming is more important than game programming, that''s why I suppose Bill Gates is the richest man in the whole freaking world, not founder of Blizzard or Sid Meyer or whoever.

Hi,

In the end it''s all up to yourself.

When I see more and more aspiring game programmers ask questions like:

How do I program a 3D engine?
How do bsp trees work?
Where can I download the DirectX Sdk?
etc. etc.

then I''m not getting very afraid of the shortage of game programming jobs. There are not many game programmers out there who have the ability to self-learn things or even start looking for information somewhere.

A couple of years ago nobody had i-net acces and everybody was making up their own algo''s. Nowadays, lots of newbies are wandering over the messageboards asking questions that can only be answered by writing a full-blown 6 part tutorial on the subject.

Do not be mistaken, I do not hate newbies at all and I''m always glad to help people (I love it!!). Even more, in lots of areas of gameprogramming I''m still a newbie myself.

But way too often I see people asking the wrong questions.
First look for an answer yourself and then come to me.

In other words: creating cool games in the future is in your own hands. Educate, dedicate, learn, self-improve, discuss, implement, work hard, have fun, go vegetarian and you will be able to get a job you like always.

Sheesh, that sounded corky for someone who is still in school. Sorry ''bout that.

Jaap Suter

By the way,

the above post is from me, and not from the other anonymous poster who tends to use words I only use when I just got beaten on any computer game . I don''t mind him, but I wasn''t registered yet.

Jaap Suter

Mmmm, I''ll have to think of one.
____________________________Mmmm, I''ll have to think of one.
I think that there are certainly more aspiring game programmers than jobs, but there is in no way more programmers than jobs. I am a CS student and while I originally wanted to program games for a living, I''d just as soon participate in net projects like GameDev''s.
Brian P. Retford Lost Horizon Software
One point I didn''t see on here is that only a small percentage of the world actually has computers. Considering you have about 6 billion people on the planet. So, theorize for yourself. Do you thing the amount of people with computer will decrease.. increase .. or stay the same?

Computer are doing what ? Going up in price .. going down in price or staying the same ?

I''d say they are getting cheaper and more people are getting them. Not to mention people are starting to throw away their console systems for REAL online games. Consider that online gaming is still VERY imature and limited to the normals users 28.8 connection. What happens when broadband satellite networks come on line folks ? BOOM high bandwidth to 99% of the world. Also games are getting harder and harder to make. Back in the day a lone programer could write a top selling game... now it takes coordinated groups working with artists and production studios. I think games are just scratching the surface and its not like the technology of the PC is showing any signs of slowing down. What you see today really is just childs play compared to what games can be. Force feedback is just hitting the PC .. virtual reality is still a dream as far as the consumer level goes. VR in my mind has a definate place in the gameing world.. but the technology to make it a consumer level product is not around quite yet. When VR hits your gonna probably see another big push in games just like when 3dfx and Rendition hit the scene and starting showing people just what PC graphics could look like.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement