🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AI testbed

Started by
2 comments, last by ddn2 22 years, 8 months ago
Are there any good AI testbed architectures out there? I want to test some AI concepts as it relates to my game, but short of implementing it fully, there are no comprable frameworks which allows me to build my simulation quickly, other than my game. If there isn''t any, perhaps it''s time to create a general framework for testing AI theroy in games. Any ideas where to get started? -ddn
Advertisement
quote: Original post by ddn2
Are there any good AI testbed architectures out there? I want to test some AI concepts as it relates to my game, but short of implementing it fully, there are no comprable frameworks which allows me to build my simulation quickly, other than my game.

If there isn''t any, perhaps it''s time to create a general framework for testing AI theroy in games. Any ideas where to get started?

-ddn

I think there is actually alot to choose from, if one spends just a little time with a web search engine.

There are a couple of open-source projects, FreeCiv and FreeCraft that come to mind. There is
also XConq and let''s not forget that Half-Life, Quake and Unreal offer the ability to build ''bots
that can be used for AI testing. And there is the RARS (it has a new name now?) for racing AI.

All that being said, I typically construct my own game specific testbed for the projects I work
on, that is often 2D graphics (circles and squares) and has an abstracted world representation
(much simpler than the actual game''s world, but with an API that makes it look more like it).
This usually gives me enough to work with, so I can begin developing and testing the AI long
before the actual game engine is available.

Eric
I would also say don''t be afraid to use pure text as a testbed

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

"Nazrix is quite the celebrity" -- Bishop Pass
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote: Original post by Nazrix
I would also say don''t be afraid to use pure text as a testbed

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

"Nazrix is quite the celebrity" -- Bishop Pass

Nazrix is absolutely right. In fact, I built my original
flocking demo
using nothing but text files to the desktop as a debugging mechanism at first, leaving addition of the graphics until the last minute. Worked like a champ too other than I''d swapped the left/right vectors by accident in the code.

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com

From the High Mountains of Colorado

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement