🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

NPC scripting

Started by
1 comment, last by Hollandera 12 years, 2 months ago
Hello everyone, in the game I'm working on I would like to implement some sort of action/reaction behavior. Such as if the player steps on a bridge a troll comes running. or if the player leaves his home his friend comes runnig over to speak to him. Does anyone know an elegant way to do this? I was thinking about trying to implement stackless python into my game but I wasn't sure about how I should go about doing this. Does anyone know of any tutorials if this is the way I should go?
Advertisement
What's your actual scope of features you want to implement? A simple trigger/response system is far easier to implement than a full scripting engine.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

A trigger/response system is all I'm looking for. I just want to do it in a way that doesn't involve any hard-codeing. I'm using tmx maps so maybe I can place the triggers on the ground with the adress of the text file I should call and parse upon a collision.

Thankyou you for putting my thoughts in order, I was drastically overthinking the problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement