🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Compilers...

Started by
7 comments, last by IRDumb 22 years, 8 months ago
Ok, I have recently taken up the art of computer programming, and I was wondering if I should buy a compiler. Just to start out, I downloaded Dev-C++ to see if it is usable because a lot of people on these forums have said it is fine, but upon trying it for myself I have found it to be rather quirky. Maybe it''s just me, but it seems to be very confusing and even when compiled with zero errors, I still can''t execute the program. And also, when doing some OpenGL work, just from some web tutorials, it will show multiple errors. So I ask you this: if you use or have used Dev-C++, is it really ok to use, or should I go out and spend 100+ dollars on Microsoft Visual C++?
Advertisement
Dev-C++ (or, more accurately, MinGW) is a pretty good compiler. The IDE is a bit buggy, but it works. If you are just learning how to program, I would recommend that you don''t trouble yourself with Win32 or OpenGL, and focus on C/C++. DJGPP may be a better option. It''s based on the same technology as MinGW (i.e. GCC), but it''s a bit more straightforward to use.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Martee,
Do you use Dev-C++ (or Min whatever)?
If you do, could you tell me how to start out, I mean would I start an empty file, or a win 32 app, or a dos app, or what?

Edited by - IRDumb on October 6, 2001 9:45:07 PM
I think that instead of getting started with DJGPP, I think you should get Borland''s free C/C++ compiler. It seems to be really cool, and the bare bones compiler edition is free.

"It''''s the Big, Evil Microsoft Corporation & Wicked, Greedy, Too-Fucking-Rich Bill Gates vs. the We''''re-In-It-for-the-Love-and-Free-Software-for-Everybody & the Self-Effacing (Seeming) Folk Hero Linus B. Torvalds thing."
- Linus Torvalds, describing how many portray him
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]
Before I participate in another 9 meg d/l, I need to know, is this really better than Dev-C++ or not. (This wouldn''t really be a problem if I didn''t have this shitty 56k running at 28.8)
quote: Original post by IRDumb
Before I participate in another 9 meg d/l, I need to know, is this really better than Dev-C++ or not. (This wouldn''t really be a problem if I didn''t have this shitty 56k running at 28.8)

Lets put it this way, I''ve used Borland''s Turbo C++ compiler to begin with, it''s the compiler I got as a gift and I used it for a heck of a long time. Actually, I used it up to 4 years ago when I decided to get into windows programming and bought myself a copy of VC++ which I didn''t really like but since most programmers were using it, I didn''t have a choice. I still don''t like it today and would prefer to use BC++ but Microsoft stopped making the libs for BC++ and I''m just too lazy to use imlib to convert them so I just use VC++. Anyhow, before going crazy and getting a copy of VC++, you might want to also concider some other good IDEs out there like CodeWarrior which is one of my prefered IDE. That and Borland C++ of course. Anyhow, those are simply my views.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote: Original post by IRDumb

Borlands free command line tools seem to be the best compiler to me. I personally use MSVC++ because of the ide so this isn''t an anti-MS biased opinion, but from experience borland has seemed to compile faster and the executables seem to be atleast as fast, if not faster, than any other compiler I''ve used.
Plus it is ANSI-standard, and msvc++ isn''t quite so standard...
Ok,
I am going to download the Borland compiler tonight and try it out tomorrow. Thank you guys for your insights.
I have Dev-C++ and the compiler (Ming and I believe it comes with another one too) is great but the IDE crashes on me when I open, save, or compile to many times. Otherwise, it''s a good program.

When I use Dev-C++ (I have MSVC++ 6 also) usually I go to New and create a Windows App if I need a program that uses Win32 and a Consol App for anything else.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement