🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Space Invaders Advanced AI Showcase

Started by
5 comments, last by Whorse 12 years, 1 month ago
I've begun making a Space Invadersesque clone for a small hobby project to try and delve into AI a bit more. The reason I chose this is due to the fact that the gameplay is pretty simple to code and I felt there was potential to possibly experiment with more adventurous AI ideas.

I was wondering if any one had any thoughts or ideas of what would be good to include in this clone to make an AI showcase shine through (if it's a good idea at all).

Cheers!
Advertisement
Huh? Are you doing an AI for the "player" or for the aliens? If it is for the aliens, giving them any semblance of AI at all will make it not even remotely Space Invaders any more.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Hmm, unless it's as the player it doesn't make much sense for Space Invaders. But something like Raiden... that could be interesting. Controlling the enemies as a unit instead of using pre-programmed formations might be fun. Especially if it's designed to adapt to player style to increase challenge. Warning Forever did this, but adapting in a very simple predefined way rather than using any advanced AI.
It doesn't strictly have to obey the Space Invaders niche, just the idea of an overhead game with a similar idea to space invaders.
There's really not much you can do and "obey the Space Invaders" niche other than perhaps dodging and cover. Not really a stellar AI problem to do dodging in this case... pretty much the opposite of Pong.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

UraniumSlug: check out Galaga. It might be more in line with what you are thinking, and it offer ample room for smart opponents.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think in this case a better idea would be to finish off this simple project and get a quick start with UDK so I can really start scripting the meat of proper AI in some simple top down 3rd person game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement