Advertisement

Feedback on my SFX?

Started by June 05, 2012 02:11 PM
3 comments, last by CalebFaithMusic 12 years, 3 months ago
I have a small portfolio on Soundcloud and I was wondering what you guys think of my sound effects. Maybe anyone who has experience would like to give me some technical advice? :) Constructive criticism is welcome.

http://soundcloud.com/autistic-lucario/tracks?page=1

Do you think I am hireable, even for simple projects?
Hello,

Your tracks mostly sound like abstract looping ambiences for science fiction-themed games.

While they sound pretty decent, it's hard to tell from this alone if you'd make a good team member.
I'd try some shorter sounds, maybe add some that are more concrete (chest opening, sword swinging, laser gun shooting...) and combine them with imagery - look for Creative Commons short films or the like, that way you can showcase how you can find sounds that fit certain moods and animations.

Production-wise, some of your sounds have quite a lot of resonance, sometimes in "dangerous" sub-bass frequencies. I am not sure if this is intended.
Are you using decent speakers or at least good headphones to monitor your sounds?

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

Advertisement

Hello,

Your tracks mostly sound like abstract looping ambiences for science fiction-themed games.

While they sound pretty decent, it's hard to tell from this alone if you'd make a good team member.
I'd try some shorter sounds, maybe add some that are more concrete (chest opening, sword swinging, laser gun shooting...) and combine them with imagery - look for Creative Commons short films or the like, that way you can showcase how you can find sounds that fit certain moods and animations.

Production-wise, some of your sounds have quite a lot of resonance, sometimes in "dangerous" sub-bass frequencies. I am not sure if this is intended.
Are you using decent speakers or at least good headphones to monitor your sounds?

Cheers,
Moritz

I agree. I do need to put some more variety in my sounds. As for the sub-bass frequencies, what do you mean by "dangerous?" I am using a very good paid of headphones.

Would you recommend some public domain sound effect sites to me, so I can build up my sound libraries and try out different things?

EDIT: Yes, many of the very low frequencies were intended.

I agree. I do need to put some more variety in my sounds. As for the sub-bass frequencies, what do you mean by "dangerous?" I am using a very good paid of headphones.

Yes, many of the very low frequencies were intended.

By "dangerous" I mean they could sound "boomy" on playback systems that emphasize low frequencies. (most cheap hi-fi speakers)
This could very well be intentional and depends on the area of application, though - e.g. I remember the Mass Effect and Dead Space series' sound "vrooming" quite a bit in certain game situations, even on my good Adam speakers. I expected some "vroom" from huge explosions or tremendous futuristic machinery though!

As long as you are aware of what you're doing, it's all good.

Would you recommend some public domain sound effect sites to me, so I can build up my sound libraries and try out different things?[/quote]
Do you know freesound.org? It's a great resource.
Careful with the term "Public Domain"! Be sure to check out the various forms of Creative Commons - many sounds are under the CC Attribution License, but there are other forms as well.

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

Maybe it could help if you name what your sounds are... such as "rain" etc.
This could help for people who are looking for specific sounds.
Just a suggestion :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement