🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where does one start?

Started by
6 comments, last by tom76 22 years, 8 months ago
I am new to AI, where should I begin? Observe everything, remember more!
if (witisism == !witty) return to_hole
Advertisement
quote: Original post by tom76
I am new to AI, where should I begin?

Observe everything, remember more!

You don't say whether you're a high school student, a college student, somebody tired of their current career, etc. I'll assume you've got some classes ahead of you yet.

I'd start with a.) knowing my math and b.) knowing my history. Physics is becoming pretty darn important now that we've got the CPU to use on it, so that can't hurt. Find one or two areas to specialize in and focus on them; that's what you'll be selling if you decide to break into the industry.

The single best place to hunt for jobs is out at the Game Developer's Conference, held each year in San Jose (find out more at their site). It's horribly, ridiculously expensive, but the job fair there is second to none.

For general AI info you've already found the Web, and it's the best source around. Explore and experiment; that's your best approach.

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com

From the High Mountains of Colorado

Edited by - Ferretman on October 8, 2001 11:43:05 PM

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
GameAI.Com

Sorry mate should have been clearer. I''ve got 3 1/2 years experience on games mags, 6 diplomas in C++, and I''m studying directX8 at the moment.
I''m looking on where to begin with regards to AI. Any tutorials for basic AI or "things you should know" guides?

Sorry mate should have been clearer.

No prob. I just wasn't sure.

I've got 3 1/2 years experience on games mags, 6 diplomas in C++, and I'm studying directX8 at the moment.

Impressive! You certainly would seem to have the experience part down.

I'm looking on where to begin with regards to AI. Any tutorials for basic AI or "things you should know" guides?

Well, I haven't put it up yet but I plan to set up a "tutorials" page on my AI site (below). There are already a couple of excellent tutorials there from Mat Buckland on Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms; you might start with those if they're not familiar to you. And of course there are a bunch of excellent path-finding tutorials and writeups out there; one of the betters ones is by Justin Heyes-Jones.

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com

Edited by - Ferretman on October 9, 2001 12:56:26 AM

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
GameAI.Com

Deleted my message to Tom.

Edited by - JD on October 11, 2001 2:16:02 AM
1) There are literally HUNDREDS of tutorials out there, some good some bad, some advanced some beginner, wading through each to find the right one can take AGES - far better to ask people which ones they have used in order to find the GOOD tutorials.

2) If you don''t want to help then don''t bother - there are plenty of other people out there who want to help newer AI programmers and help the industry thrive. If you don''t want to be part of the group then don''t, simple as that.

I want to apologize to you Tom. My reply was totally uncalled for and you didn''t deserve it. I hope I didn''t hurt your feelings. I guess one of my neurons misfired yesterday I don''t know of good vs. bad tutorials since those I read were pretty informative for newbie in ai like me. Here are some links:

Neural Netware by Andre''LaMothe

Generation5 website

AiDepot

Ai on the net

Back propagation doc

Basic Artificial Neural Net overview

Another ANN overview

Fup''s ANN and dx8 code

Fup''s Genetic Algo and c++ code

Hopefuly you''ll be able to find some useful info on these sites and their tutorials. The AiDepot site has a book section I think. Good luck
I am new to AI, where should I begin?

This would have to be the number one asked question on these forums! But, everybody has to start somewhere.

"Artifial Intelligence: A Modern Approach", Russell & Norvig, is one of the standard AI texts for tertiary level courses. It gives a decent coverage of the field but was written nearly 10 years ago. There are some glaring ommissions, but as a survey text, it does an excellent job. The second edition is due out soon (if Stuart ever finishes it!) so keep your eyes peeled for it.

Once you have at least read R&N (you certainly don''t have to understand it all) then you can move on to texts specific to a problem area you are interested in. There have been many excellent recent publications. Here are ''some'' pointers to use:

Machine Learning
http://www.aic.nrl.navy.mil/~aha/research/ml/books.html
Probabilistic Methods
http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~tsamard/bnpointers.html

There are plenty of online bibliographies... just try a google search for more info.

Cheers,

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement