🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for a few answers in layman's terms please!

Started by
2 comments, last by Ubermeowmix 11 years, 11 months ago
Right I've got my console window running directx and spinning shapes and models etc, i probably understand less than 50% of it all lol. I am building console text adventure/final fantasy style games to really get stuck into the workings of C++ too. I'll be honest, I'm a bit fed up of trudging through chuff, so I thought I'd ask the community for a kick in the right direction.

1: How do I start loading multiple object references in and creating content as the program is running? And can I create a class to encapsulate say generation of a marine?

2: Does everything need to be initialized when the program is initially run, or can I load it in on the fly?

3: How do binary files work, I've been saving user information like scores etc in .txt files which is obviously poopy, what kind of info can be stored in them?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can be bothered to spare.
If you get near a point, make it!
Advertisement

I am building console text adventure/final fantasy style games

2D or 3D?

If 2D then why are you fooling around with models in DirectX?

If 3D then if you really understand less than 50% of a program that spins a shape in a window, you are not ready to write a game. Start with something 2D, use SDL or something like that.
I've been doing both, gone through the 2D for text reasons, and the 3D up to loading .mdl files plus shaders.

I'm looking for direction to see if I can go down the routes that I've outlined. Whether it's possible or not!
Oops just seen there's a noob section for posts, really sorry guys. Any feedback will still be appreciated if you have the time.

Cheers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement