🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Who is my enemy? Brainstorming

Started by
12 comments, last by Bluefirehawk 11 years, 10 months ago
Extra-temporal echoes of the humans' own racial tragedy. They fight their collective guilt and cannot escape a cycle of suffering.
gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.
Advertisement
They could also just completely dissolve upon defeat, weapons and all.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

I am still with one thing stuck. The enemy must not drop weapons the player can use. So they either have to shoot with something the player cannot use or I should explain why the weapons disappear. Any Ideas?

I believe no one has mentioned the option of their weapons being part of their body yet?

The intelligent race solution: Their race breeds for optimized usage of the body. So whereas scientists are bred for intelligence they also have multiple arms/fingers etc. to operate faster. The fighting force is created to be ferocious but loyal and submissive to their overseers. To optimize their battle capabilities and prevent their advanced weapons from being used against them they breed their fighter with their weapons as part of their body. Either instead of hands/limbs or above the hands on the lower arm .

As for the less intelligent race solution, just go with the last part really. There's no reason why alienish creatures would have sharp fangs/claws but not guns. If you don't want to go into much story overall just having an enemy sprite/model that has an arm as a gun is already enough imo.

Of course humans cannot be extremely advanced in bio mechanics or they would still be able to utilize the weapons in some way. Also it seems rather unlikely that they would shoot with bullets as ammunition, a gooey acid like substance would be better suited imo but there's room there.
Hmmmm, a solution (which I don't believe anyone has suggested yet) is to have your enemy species be aquatic.

If you then imagine the nature of your apocalypse to be global flooding / submersion (melted polar ice-caps etc) then your aquatic adversaries become very deadly indeed. Your players (the surviving humans) survive on boats, floating structures and (formerly) very high ground (we're talking a WaterWorld base here). They are constantly raided by the predatory aquatic species, but they can't survive for long out of water (hence humans have at least a chance of surviving).

Perhaps the aquatic species are an alien invade (perhaps they even caused the global flooding as a terraforming measure, to make the Earth more hospitable for themselves). As to thrown weapons, an aquatic species could easily lend itself to spines, which could be directed at human opponents, but could be too jagged and/or poisonous for humans to pick up and use themselves.

Hope that helps!
Thank you all for your input.
I haven't specified much about the enemies, but now I have some fresh possibilities. What I decided: where the enemies were before the apocalypse is unknown, anybody who would have known something is dead now.

I have also decided on the setting, it has been a while since I last posted in this thread and i worked a bit on it. The game's name is "Project Phoenix", I wanted the story to revolve around the project phoenix, a device under development, strong enough to banish the monsters from part of the landscape. The volcano / ashes scenarion just fits in, I especially like the almost obvious symbology.

If you care about the settings, I've written it in my blog: http://www.gamedev.n...-the-old-world/
and again, thank you for your help.
Project: Project
Setting fire to these damn cows one entry at a time!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement