🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AI approach for a Virtual Pet / Tamagotchi-like game

Started by
-1 comments, last by xynapse 11 years, 8 months ago
I am thinking about developing something small but 'intelligent' in free time.
Everybody knows 'Tamagotchi' series, 'Virtual pet' clones and so on - they all share one common thing:

you get an egg from which:

• your pet borns,
  • then you need to take care of him (turn off the light to force him to sleep, feed him, cure him, play with him)
  • your pet grows
  • and grows
  • and finally dies.

States can be programmed within a single FSM, but what about the pet moving within those states?
    What should decide what state the pet is besides the human intervention ( like forcing pet to go to sleep ).

Let's imagine a situation where a pet is born, it gets some default/randomly generated stats.
    Now i could easily hardcode something like:

if(m_fHunger > 50) FSM->ChangeState(PetHungryState::Instance())

But that is something i want to avoid.

It can be very easy and predictable like for kids, on the other hand it can be very challenging and 'intelligent' if i choose the right approach from the beggining, and i am targetting the second option here.

I would like it to be unpredictable but intelligent, behaviouristic, AI driven.

So my question to you guys is: what kind of AI approach should i choose / algorithm / technology to make it a small but fascinating project ?
    What can be managed by correctly choosen AI and what has to be managed by a code ?

Thanks very much!
perfection.is.the.key

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement