🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How can you tell the heuristic value using Manhattan method when using Convex search space?

Started by
3 comments, last by lucky6969b 11 years, 7 months ago
It it hard to tell how x and y spans across the distance between the agent's current position and the destination?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Jack
Advertisement
Perhaps a better-worded question is in order?

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

I mean it is hard to tell the x-y distance between the current position and the desintation.
If you use Manhattan Heuristic, there is no such thing as 2 squares apart in the x-axis and 2 squares apart in the y-axis as the shapes are all irregular.

Thanks
Jack
So if I understand correctly, you're trying to use the manhattan heuristic, but you're finding it difficult, because your A* graph is not a regular 2D grid? Is that the problem you're facing?

If so, then you simply cannot use the manhattan heuristic. I suggest you use straight line distance instead, (the Euclidean Distance described in this link http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/GameProgramming/Heuristics.html)
Yes, you guess it right. That's what I am talking about.
thanks
Jack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement