Graphics Gale Exporter

Started by
2 comments, last by jbadams 11 years, 3 months ago

I'm currently working on a 2D platformer with a friend of mine. I do the programming, he does the art. He uses GraphicsGale for all his sprite animations and, as of now builds our sprite sheets in Photoshop manually.

As I had some down time yesterday I decided to see, if I can speed up his workflow in some way. I found GraphicsGale's exporter lacking in several respects. There is no plugin system to export to custom formats, just one format for frame information (csv, no xml or json) and no export from the command line.

Of course you can export single frames and use a tool like TexturePacker to build sprite sheets, but that's still hard to automate.

So I started to write my own exporter for .gal files (luckily they provide an API), It's not far along yet, but has already basically the same features as the internal GraphicsGale one.
I plan to add:

• Custom exporter support via LUA or Python (will probably build some for the basic TexturePacker formats)
  • Easy integration into your build process
  • And more stuff as it is needed

I'll also share the code under an open source license.

I don't know how wide spread GraphicsGale actually is, but if you're interested in something like that let me know!

Advertisement
I've used the program before and it was pretty good for animations. While I'm not sure if I would be able to put this to use, I'm posting just to show the appreciation for sharing your work. Thanks!!

Thank you for your appreciation GameCreator!

Judging from the number of views this thread is getting, I'd say, that not a lot of people are interested in GraphicsGale in general. Oh, well, I guess I'll do this anyway. I'm still in the "gather stuff for your portfolio" phase and I can justify spending my time on projects like this quite easily.

I'll post a link to the repository as soon as I have something noteworthy.

I'm not an artist at all, but it's my understanding that GraphicsGale is still very popular, especially with pixel artists. I'm sure a quality exporter will be appreciated. smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement