🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Newbie needs some suggestions

Started by
2 comments, last by Toaster 24 years, 5 months ago
I have programemd in various languages.. starting on the Vic 20... but nothing professional. I want to get into programming and games seem like the only thing that would really interest me.. maybe AI programing because I think that is a very underdeveloped field and very interesting. I have programmed in C a little bit. I am not sure that was a good idea to even learn C I probably should have just went with C++ but in any case thats how things went and now I have to relearn many of the C commands that have basically been replaced by C++. So C++ is the definate choice for game programmers ? Could I get some recommendations on getting my C++ skills up to par and writing some simple games. Any books.. sites.. or class suggestions would be welcome. My local college does not have a C++ class and even if they did it would probably be very weak just like their VB class was that I took. I hardly even showed up and still got a 4.0 .. I am looking for a challenge. I use Visual C++ 5.0 .. is that a good choice ? If any of you would help me out via email or ICQ so I could ask some basic questions now and then that would be great. This is a great site by the way and it seems to draw quite a lot of real professionals. I hope to be one of them some day
Advertisement
hey

I am a newbie also and i am using borland C++ 4.52. I have found that http://www.eastcoastgames.com is very good. It just teaches the basics of game programming. It starts of with i think a text based game then moves to hangman. you may be saying hangman Wow heavy stuff LOL but you have to start someplace and if found that this is as good place to start as any. Also on the left of gamedev there is a spot for links. This is also good that is where i found the Eastcoast site. Hope this helps you.

node_5r
quote: you may be saying hangman Wow heavy stuff LOL but you have to start someplace and if found that this is as good place to start as any

From a professional programmer, well stated.

~deadlinegrunt

Right now, it is acutally a toss up between C++ and C in game development. If you have to learn one, go C++. It''s much easier to go C++ to C than the other way around.

In professional game companies, C++ is becoming much more common, as well as OO design, but a lot of legacy code is still in C, not to mention that some older programmers just refuse to change.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement