🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Recognising Behavioural Patterns

Started by
1 comment, last by Mayrel 22 years, 8 months ago
I''m pondering a desirable AI feature in RTS games. The concept is quite simple, I want the AI to recognise, and respond to, patterns in my behaviour. As an example, imagine that the RTS allows one to develop new technology during the game. Each time I develop a piece of technology, I will want to build the units that the technology offers. Lets say I need a resource to build units out of; to keep things simple, we''ll just call this resource ''matter''. Now, it isn''t only units that use up matter, I need matter to repair, refuel and rearm my units and buildings. Normally, then, I''ll make sure I have enough matter to keep my base''s defences running before making units, but I''m so keen to see my new units that I''ll make them regardless of the amount of matter I have. The result is that whenever I make a new technological breakthrough, I will go through a spending spree where I make all the new units and buildings available to me. What I want is for the AI to know that when it sees a new unit or building, my base will be weakened. I won''t be able to repair or rearm my unit or turrets; in short, my base is ripe for the capturing. Now, we could just program that into the AI, because its possible that many people who are new to the game would be equally keen to see the units. But once the player figures out that''s how the AI behaves, they can just make sure their defences are perfect before building any new units, and the AI will suddenly become notably less challenging. So we want the AI to adapt to your behaviour. The level of adaption is the key here. If you need research buildings to develop new technologies, then the AI might purposely construct research buildings and lure you to them, in the hopes that you''ll capture them and increase the speed of your technological advances - something it would absolutely not want to do if you were wise to its plan. If you could trade technology with other sides, it might prepare its forces for an attack, and then give you some impressive new technology ''as a token of friendship'' - again, something it shouldn''t do if you knew the reason why it was being so friendly. My question is: are there game AIs around that are capable of this level of adaption, and what kind of AI would be best for this? Uuuuuulrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka
CoV
Advertisement
What you''re talking about here is correlation. A correlation between the appearance of a new technology centre and the current defensive strength of your base.

If we take a set of variables then we can measure the correlation between them. It''s a basic statistical technique and there is plenty of code around to do it.

You could design an AI that has beliefs about the current levels of all of these variables based on evidence it gains from the game. It could then predict the likely values of ''hidden'' variables (things it cannot observe directly, like your defensive strength) based on the correlations learned during training (or during the game itself).

Your first thought might be that a neural network would be best for this, but in fact a Bayesian (Belief) Network would be far better suited to the problem.

Cheers,

Timkin
I downloaded an article on that topic.
"Programming A Bolo Robot to Recognize Actions by Example"
Bolo is a tank game.
I haven''t actually read it though(one of those things I
keep meaning to do ).
So I can''t tell if it''s any good or what method it uses.
Anyway, I am willing to share the article or I can try to
find a link.

Create.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement