🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A thread reboot?

Started by
1 comment, last by Shane C 10 years, 9 months ago
Something I'm becoming serious about is making a Final Fantasy VI like game. Not to the point that I get in trouble with Square for invading their copyrights, I just want to mimmic a good game enough to have a good game. Kind of like taking a Mario and making a Sonic.

I pretty much created a thread on this but it wasn't very helpful: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/648755-wasting-potential-and-seeking-cloning/. I wouldn't go so far to say there wasn't good advice in it, there probably was, it just wasn't really on the subject I was looking for, or wasn't very helpful to me. I'd like to maybe try rebooting the thread and focus solely on a few things I'm looking for:

1. In what order I should make the parts of the game.

2. I want the community to challenge me to do things that they think would be good.

3. (Bonus) Maybe have the community dissect a Final Fantasy game telling me what worked well, what didn't. I have my own opinions on this, but there's always the chance I might have overlooked something.

And by reboot, I mean have the thread I linked to locked and start over with a new thread, maybe. But where would I post it? For Beginners? The Lounge?

Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, and should take the lack of advice as a sign the community doesn't know. But it's still a relevant topic - I mean, if someone is making a game like Final Fantasy VI, there are many aspects that can be discussed.
Advertisement

Go ahead!

I'd recommend simply starting a new topic with a similar explanation to the one given here: link to the original topic, and clearly explain the different feedback that you're after. You might even consider starting a completely separate topic for your third (bonus) question of attempting to dissect a Final Fantasy title.

As long as you're polite, explain yourself clearly, and don't flood the forum with too many very similar topics I think you'll find that people should respond pretty well.

But where would I post it? For Beginners? The Lounge?

Your first two points ("what order to make things in" and "being challenged by the community") are probably best suited to For Beginners. A dissection of the existing games is probably best suited to Game Design. You might also enquire about the story/world/dialogue in Writing For Games.

Hope that's helpful! smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement