🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tutorials!

Started by
3 comments, last by Kryzon 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm interested in creating some grass/ground segments for a 2D Game. I'm having a bit of trouble creating them seeing as i can't find any tutorials related towards the style I'm going for. Most of them seem to be for tile games so the designs are usually square.

The particular styles I am hoping to achieve is

Muramasa the Demon Blade:

muramasa01.png

B001HB7K6I.02.lg.jpg

Dust: An Elysian Tail:

dust_screen_1.jpg

tumblr_mk55z7Kkua1s5jmdqo2_1280.jpg

and

Rayman Origins:

Rayman_OriginsPyramidTeam.jpg

Rayman-Origins-E3-2011-Trailer_1.jpg

If anyone knows of any link to some tutorials related towards the ground assets (Grass, Dirt, Etc/ not ) that I can use to achieve this, please leave them on this post. I am seriously stumped without them.

Student at Davenport University.

Major : Game and Simulation programming

Advertisement

Here is a speed painting tutorial I'm watching right now! Some good tool tips and general painting knowledge. Enjoy!

Moving you to our Visual Arts forum.

- Jason Astle-Adams

The easiest way to make backgrounds like I see in Rayman is to trace a bitmap. Both InkScape and Adobe Illustrator have the ability to take a photo and trace it, be it in color or black and white:

Inkscape:

Adobe Illustrator:

As for Illustator it has changed from version to version. I think the term there is called Live Trace.

You can do this on a regular photo of greenery or trees or grass etc. From there you would edit the vector to make it unique if you want. Keep the tracing paths light (not too much detail). You can edit the curves also to get more unique shapes.

Hope this helps.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Here is a speed painting tutorial I'm watching right now! Some good tool tips and general painting knowledge. Enjoy!

This is an interesting guide. You should post it in the 2D Tutorials & Learning Resources thread.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement