🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Animated gif "screenshots"

Started by
3 comments, last by ambershee 10 years, 7 months ago

I noticed a few times already there are animated gifs displayed for a day on every page and its annoying and wastes bandwidth.

For me a screenshot is a still image. If I see something jumping around the whole time it makes me dread reading the forum (and I dont particularly like the solution of all people having to install adblock and cluttering the manual block list every time this happens).

It would be much nicer if you show only a not-moving image on most pages and then have that animated gif shown only if someone clicks the image to view it more closely.

Advertisement

Re bandwidth, we are already severely limiting the size of animated gifs since the 50MB GIF debacle.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

You can turn off animated gifs in your browser preferences. I.E. for Firefox type in "about:config" -> search for "animation" -> change the value for "image.animation_mode" from "normal" to "none"

Thats a global setting and I would sometimes want to click some tumbnail on a page and see an animation.

I was hoping the would be no more animated gifs after the 50MB one, even if they are 2MB. Thats because it gets shown everywhere and runs the whole time.

Re bandwidth, we are already severely limiting the size of animated gifs since the 50MB GIF debacle.

That's amazing! How did I miss that xD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement