🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bitmap Font Creator issues with line height

Started by
1 comment, last by openglinator 10 years, 7 months ago

Not sure if this really is a bug, but ...

When I select a 24 px Size and combine it with [x] "Render from TrueType outline", Then I get 50 times out of 20000 chars an entry of height=25 and 6 times out of 20000 chars an entry of height=26 in the corresponding .fnt file.

However, when I deactivate the [ ] "Render from True Type outline" option, all generated entries in the .fnt have <= 24 height.

Is this the expected behavior or a bug?

Advertisement

Rendering from the TrueType outline uses a different technique to rasterize the characters (I retrieve the outline and render the glyphs as polygons). I implemented this option after seeing that Windows ordinary GDI functions for rasterizing text sometimes cropped the glyphs if they were higher or lower than the cell height.

So, yes, you can expect difference in the height and width and sometimes characters that are larger than the cell height.

Did you check the actually glyphs that were rasterized in these cases? Do they look OK when writing text?

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

No, I didn't check them. To be onest, at the moment I do not really care about this obscure thing.

One of the signs was under the first 127, so I guess it might become an issue later.

I used the Batang font that Windows 7 provides with the said 24 px.

I just found that this render option looks sharper than the supersample option.

Maybe I'm incorrect here. Didn't make a visual check when both options are on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement