🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Jesus lived to be 30-something

Started by
5 comments, last by BigMeanBear 24 years, 5 months ago
Um... hello? did anyone ever notice that if the end of the world was gonna come, it would have happend over 30 years ago as Jesus lived to be 30-something? This year is not the millenium, but neither is next year...... -Erik L. Elmore
-Erik L. Elmore
Advertisement
The calender we follow is based from the date of Jesus'' birth, not his death. So yes, mathematically, next year is the beginning of the new millenium.
But, that doesn''t really matter. Time isn''t whatever we define it to be, it''s something all it''s own. The numbers we assign it to make our lives easier don''t make any difference. What is a millenium really, than just some neat little compartmentalization that was made up by humankind? In the eyes of a higher power, what does that matter?

Jonathan

P.S. - Sorry
Not to mention that Jesus was supposedly born 4-5 BC...

-Geoff
Milleniums, centuries, years and hours help us to structure our lifes, right. Man wants to make small handy pieces our brain can handle of everything. Why do you think we use C++ instead of assembly?
I think if the end of the world was gonna come it would either have been in the year 1000 or the year 2001. maybe 2010, they were both really cool movies.

_________________Gecko___

_________________Gecko___Gecko Design
Who cares how old jesus was. Who cares what millenium it is it is just Cool that we are in the year 2000 its like something from the movies!! thats my 2cents

later
node_5r
I am really getting tired of people debating whether the new millenium is today or tomorrow or next year or next decade. Doesn''t it seem pointless? Nevertheless, I''ll chuck a little bit of info into the debate:

The question has been raised (by Sean Oberle) as to whether the first Christian millennium should be counted from 1 A.D. or from the year preceding it. According to Dionysius the Incarnation occurred on March 25th of the year preceding 1 A.D. (with the birth of Jesus occurring nine months later on December 25th), so it is reasonable to regard that year, rather than 1 A.D. as the first year of the Christian Era. In that case 1 A.D. is the second year, and 999 A.D. is the 1000th year, of the first Christian millennium, implying that 1999 A.D. is the final year of the second Christian millennium and 2000 A.D. the first year of the third.

The above statement was extracted from the following link:

The Julian and the Gregorian Calendars

If you read anything on that page, make sure you understand how many times the calendar has been revised. When it comes to what the exact date is, our society doesn''t know its elbow from its asshole. And it doesn''t matter, the date is a mere convention to make daily life easier and, perhaps, more meaningful.
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement