🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Call to Arms: Create a beginners post, lock it, and move on

Started by
4 comments, last by Silent The Gray 10 years, 6 months ago

This is more of a discussion to bring to everyone attention an issue I see arising on this forum.

There are a ton of threads already created and most probably about to be created in the near future, of an amateur developer that wants to design video games, or an adept developer that wants to design games. They don't know which language to use, or where to even get started for that matter. They'll create an account on this forum, most of the time to simply ask the question about where they should get started, and will then move on with their lives most probably not taking anyone's advice.

Since this is a "For Beginners" forum section, there should be dedicated, locked, material that beginners can refer too. Call it a definite guide in progress for those that want to become game developers. It explains what game development is, and a set of good resources for them to get started. I don't think it should be about what programming language is the best, because if they don't have the discipline to see a project through or to even be creative for that matter then no programming language will save them.

If this is something that everyone agrees on, aka: "We need concrete information about getting started", can some of the moderators put up some content and potentially assign a set of people to maintain it on this site whoever that may be. If this content already exists, can we put a link up somewhere so that beginners can start using it. Finally, can we try and minimize the amount of content being asked on forums about where to start, this is just causing confusion and is inflating the beginners forums with useless content; I know that a forum is about discussion however if there are 20 threads on where a programmer should get started along with a bunch of different opinions, I don't see that helping anyone.

In case you think this is tl:dr, the conclusion of this thread is to have a solid resource for people to build off of when trying to get started with game development, specifically for the "For Beginners" forum.

Advertisement
Okay. I wrote a sticky with an arrow pointing to the FAQs. No need for further discussion (in my opinion).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I'm unlocking this (that is apparently what's ticking people off).
But the topic of this forum is beginner questions (and answers), not commentary about the forum (there's another forum for that).

I totally agree that For Beginners, in particular, needs a robust FAQ and stickies. While the existing FAQ may not be ideal (not that I've heard any complaints lately), creating "the ideal FAQ" is a thankless task, a lot of ongoing work, and any FAQ is likely to go unread (just as the existing FAQ does). How often does a new beginner show up and start with, "I have read the forum FAQ"? - not often. Anyway, someone other than me would need to write the FAQ since I'm not a programmer.

After the thread is unlocked, it'll have to get moved to GDNet Comments, Suggestions, and Ideas.

I haven't seen the faq's, could you post a link (mobile).

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

I haven't seen the faq's, could you post a link (mobile).

http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1

As a beginner here I wouldn't mind having those resources more readily available, though I will preface with, I was kind of under the assumption the beginner's forum was for bouncing questions about common issues you'd run into with programming, as opposed to discovering what language to start with/what part of game programming you wanted to do. I did not read the FAQ, but I believe there are some people with the right mindset and some without.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement