🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can someone help me think of a creative name for my puzzle/tower defense game?

Started by
9 comments, last by traghera 10 years, 4 months ago
I'm in the process of developing this game for iPad and I'm hoping someone can help me find a fitting name for it because I'm really unsure of what to call it. Feel free to be as creative as you want. As you can see from the picture, it's a match-3/4/5 type game. Matching gems create towers and matching towers create upgraded towers. Towers shoot enemies that run along the path around the gameboard hopefully before they reach your castle (not yet a visible castle). It also plays a tiny bit like an RPG since matching swords spawns heroes and defenders along the path to fight waves of enemies. Matching coins allows you to buy upgrades for your heroes and defenders between matches, and all kinds of different passive buffs.

Anyway, still stuck on the naming situation. Hopefully someone here can help me along. Thanks (:
Advertisement

Very creative concept, I'd love to give that a try! smile.png

All I can come up with is some combination of the terms "gem", "jewel", "tower", "defence" and "match". eg. Jewel Defence, Tower Match, Tower Gems, etc.

Not very good, but maybe it's at least a starting point!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Lol that's funny. Thats all I could think of also. The development title is TowerQuest, but it sounds generic. Thanks for the feedback, though. And thanks! (:

First of all, I agree with jbadams that it's a nice concept you have for your game!

There are some tower defence games out there that have pretty generic names, but I still remember them of the top of my head, like desktop tower defence, bloons tower defence. These games are just regular tower defence games though. You probably want a name that captures the spirit of combination of "match 3" with tower defence.

I dont have any concrete names for you, but a method that can help you come up with your own name is to write down words that represents each genre in two columns and then try different combinations and variants. You can use more columns if you want to incorporate more names, like your business name etc.

Good luck.

Very nice and interesting concept, hope to see developed soon, for the name, as jbadams says, the fist thing that has come to my mind when i readed your post is Jewel Defense, it seems perfect to me.

TriTower? Gem Towers? Gem Defense? Defend Your Jewels! lol. Crystal Cracker?If the towers happened to look like gems or stones you could call it Obelisk or Crystal Spires or something like that, but you'd have to check those names weren't already the name of a recent game. If one color of gem corresponded to the highest level towers somehow, you could name it after that gem, like Emerald Towers or Sapphire Shieldwall or Topaz Tower-Defender. It also looks a bit like mining, so something like Mine-Matcher or Mine Defender might work too.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I like the idea! As for names...If you want to use non-generic names like tower defense or whatever, i recommend using an online thesaurus. Just make sure the synonyms that you find make sense before you actually use them.

Example Names:

1. Tower Race
  2. Tower Rush
  3. Gem Bind/Bound Gems (in the sense you are putting gems together to create towers)
  4. Gem Spires/Towers (depending on how the towers look)
  5. Gem Blend

Another idea is to make a list of words that you like or that fit the game. Take the list and mix and match words to see if you can create any interesting names.

Hopefully that helps, Good luck!

How about 'Candy Saga'? Oh wait....

I think first you need to decide whether you want the title to be something very on the nose: "Jewel Tower Defense", "Gemstone Defense", etc.

....or make it more abstract or representative of a particular art style, game function, or story premise (if there is one): i.e. "Defend the Jewels!", "The Gem Citadel", "Shiny Things of Destruction", "Heroes of the Gemstone Path", "Of Jewels and Swords".

Either way, a thesaurus is your friend.

Hi this sounds good for sure. I like games that blur genre lines. Personally as I looked at the screenshot I was drawn first to the swords, then a close second was the path. As I thought on that I had a few ideas.

Path to Victory

Conquerors Path

The Jeweled Path

Thats Path oriented. Normal tower defense:

Towers of Power

Kingdom Defense

Match to Glory (match for march: play on words)

Odd Ball names

Path of Sparkling Pricks

Towers & Twists

Rolepathing Towers (rpg defense mix up)

Just a few thoughts good luck with the game. Sounds fun

CraziPowerZ

Treasure Towers

Towers of Treasure

Jewel Kingdom

.. more to come

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement