🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Story vs World Design

Started by
2 comments, last by sunandshadow 10 years, 4 months ago

So I'm making a fantasy-RPG game as a hobby-project using RPG Maker. I've been writting the story as I made the game, looking only over some bulletpoints, or a "story-tree", and a rough description of what the world could be like, as I went on to make the game. And it worked out quite well untill recently, when I found it incresingly harder to just do it as I go, so I decided to try to write a bit more than just the bulletpoints. And I happened upon a question:

Should I develop/change/create the Game World around the story, or should I change the Story to fit better with the world?

So bassically, between Story and World Design, which one do you guys think should take precedence?

Advertisement

Have you heard about the GNS framework? It seems as though you're trying to choose between Narrativism and Simulationism.

Have you heard about the GNS framework? It seems as though you're trying to choose between Narrativism and Simulationism.

Thx for the reply. No, I did not hear about the GNS framework. Although I am pretty sure I am going for a Narrativism -driven game.I will however read through the document carefully, in hope it will help me decide.

I wanted to know if I should first create elements in the world that will influence the story, or create a story to influence the world around, although I may probably go for a story-that-molds the world.
I

For a traditional linear RPG I would say the story is a lot more important than the world, so change the world to fit the story. But if it were a sandbox or a strategy game or something like that, the world would be more important.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement