🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A* Bad heuristic (zigzag)

Started by
11 comments, last by GuiTeK 10 years, 4 months ago

Well, since my last post there have been many changes. Here's the long story.

First of all, the screenshots I showed you didn't come from a program I coded. Actually, the program comes from here.

My pathfinding algorithm wasn't working as expected so I decided to search for one that would work as I wanted. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything for isometric tile maps with 8 directions possible. I then decided to modify the program I linked above to make it work with isometric tiles and with 8 directions. It was actually a bad idea because it took me time to understand how the pathfinding was implemented and the modifications I made were... quite messy (on top of that I'm not a Java programmer and it's written in Java sleep.png ).

Ok, so I decided to take back MY algorithm (implemented in C++) and try (one more time) to make it work.

[...] Also, it sounds like you're not actually implementing A* correctly, or don't fully understand the algorithm. There are two costs: the heuristic (which as Alvaro said is generally not the problem provided it is admissible) and the actual traversal cost. Chances are your problem is in your A* implementation in how you compute the actual traversal cost versus the values provided by your heuristic.

Yes there are 2 costs, thanks for reminding me! All this time, I don't know why but I never considered the "G" (known) cost. I focused on the "H" (heuristic) cost. Your answer, ferrous, helped me as well:

Yeah, I'm with ApochPiQ, I suspect the problem is that there are two functions to determine the next move, the cost to move to that new tile, and the heuristic to determine how close that move will get you to the goal.

For your case, you want to take the path that costs the least to move to (diagonals cost more) and yet yields the best H value, in your case the least distance to the goal.

After reading your post, I modified my heuristic function to a simple one (diffX + diffY):

int Pathfinder::calculateHeuristicCost(PathNode *node)
{
    Point cellPt = this->getCoordsFromCellId(node->CellId);
    Point goalPt = this->getCoordsFromCellId(m_goalCellId);

int dx = std::abs(cellPt.X - goalPt.X);
    int dy = std::abs(cellPt.Y - goalPt.Y);

return dx + dy;
}

and I worked on the function which calculates the G cost. I decided to penalize orthogonal moves by adding an extra cost. But then the question is: what cost should I add to orthogonal moves?

• If the cost it too high, the algorithm will always prefer diagonal moves and it will result in longer paths sometimes.
  • If the cost is too low, the algorithm will always prefer orthogonal moves (as shown in the screenshots above) and it will result in longer paths as well.

After a few tries, I ended up with the values +10 for diagonal moves and +14 for orthogonal moves (which are common values for pathfinding, don't really know why, I read some things about distances and Pythagorean theorem).

const int ORTHOGONAL_COST = 14;
const int DIAGONAL_COST = 10;

int Pathfinder::calculateMoveCost(PathNode *parent, PathNode *node)
{
    const CellData &parentCellData = m_mapGrid.getCellDataFromId(parent->CellId);
    const CellData &nodeCellData = m_mapGrid.getCellDataFromId(node->CellId);

if (this->getDiagonalAlignment(parentCellData, nodeCellData) != Direction::None)
        return parent->G + DIAGONAL_COST;
    else
        return parent->G + ORTHOGONAL_COST;

return 0;
}

Result:

(I don't know why there is a black line in the middle, it doesn't matter).

As you can see, it works pretty well.

What do you think? Good/bad method?

Advertisement

Good work!

The reason you wound up with 10 and 14 is because of Pythagoras, as you noted: if a straight line costs 10 units, then the triangle formed by taking two straight moves also offers you a third move, the diagonal. By the Pythagorean theorem, the diagonal cost = sqrt(a*a + b*b) = sqrt(10*10 + 10*10) = sqrt(200) ~= 14.142.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Good work!

The reason you wound up with 10 and 14 is because of Pythagoras, as you noted: if a straight line costs 10 units, then the triangle formed by taking two straight moves also offers you a third move, the diagonal. By the Pythagorean theorem, the diagonal cost = sqrt(a*a + b*b) = sqrt(10*10 + 10*10) = sqrt(200) ~= 14.142.

Thank you for this explanation and for all your answers.

Thanks to everybody who posted in this thread too.

I can move on to the next part of my game now smile.png .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement