🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why "steampunk" is fun?

Started by
11 comments, last by aggieblue92 10 years, 3 months ago

I think I found out what was bothering me in Arcanum.

There seems to be 3 types of "things":

- technology (realistic, fully possible technology) example: steam powered cellphone :)

- fantasy technology (impossible, but makes sense/could be possible if, generally something that has explanation in science (even if flawed or if it ignores some "less important/unknow laws)) example: Frankenstein (body is commanded by electrical impulses from the brain (true), so if we apply a lot of electricity maybe the system will "restart" (untrue)); Jules Verne "cannon to send people to the moon" (true) but it ignores the acceleration forces (impossible, passengers will arrive dead)

- magic (impossible, not based on science at all) example: mage casting a fireball

I personally find the first two (technology and especially fantasy technolgy) perfectly fitting the steampunk theme. But magic (like elves and casting spells in Arcanum) makes it akward for me.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

And another observation.

The whole Vicorian era was an era of reason and enlightement. They *dispised* medieval times (completely unlike we now), religion, spirituality, everything that was unscientific.

But, the funniest thing is that at the same time they breed insane amount of superstition :) For example, contrary to common belief, witch hunting was not done in medieval times (it was really minor then), but the mass witch hunting originated from enlightement era (the famous Salem witch hunt was in 1692, that's almost XVIII century!), same for Lovecraft and his "cthulth" (1890). It seems, that when they went 100% science and locked down poor elves their human minds simply resisted and... "rethemed" all the spiritual/magical things :D

It seems magic can't die, even in a fully scientific society :D

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I also have a strange fascination with steampunk... That same fascination is tickled in the Dwemmer remains in Skyrim, so yeah there's definitely something to be said for immersion in it in videogames.

For me, it's the mix of the old and the new. Machinery and marvels of fine engineering with nothing but cogs, bars and pipes? Fascinating. It has the old-school charm with the space-age itch.

The visual appeal of it is also striking - copper has such a smooth, sleek look to it. Just looking at something copper, I know it's cool, metallic, and the shininess of it screams clean and functional.

Past that... it's just cool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement